I am a canoe painter...

Roger Tulk

...and a canoe painter is my son; and we're going to go on canoe painting, until all the canoe painting's done!

Just to show my family I am really, really serious about finishing the canoe this time, I painted the inside flat grey today. I may need to do a few touch ups tomorrow, after it all dries, but it looks pretty clean.

This is how it looked after I had taken all the old wood off it:

001 doover.jpg 002 doover.jpg 003 doover.jpg 004 doover.jpg

The trial fit of the gunwales and inwales:
005doover.jpg

My setup for planing the gunwales:
006 doover.jpg

The inside painted flat grey. Tremclad applied with a brush.
007 doover.jpg

Last edited:
Fine looking canoe Roger. Will look cool with new gunwales and some varnish on them and seats. You going to give it a name while you at it? I am believer every floating vessel should have a name.

No, it's all fibreglass. I have made the wooden parts for it, that were so badly deteriorated that I had to remove all of them. Rob, do you remember the POGO comic strip, and the punt they used which had different names on each side? I was thinking of doing something similar with this boat. So far I've come up with "Buckhorn Clipper," "Tows Accepted," and "Van Buren," but I'm stuck for the fourth corner.

Small Progress

After a hiatus, I got back to the canoe. Yesterday I sanded it, and today I applied Bondo to a fibreglass patch I had applied after the canoe was blown off the sawhorses in a thunderstorm. I was going to use the 2-part Bondo, but on reading the instructions I decided it was too difficult for a retired network administrator with a B.A., and went back to Canadian Tire today for a couple of tubes of 1-part Bondo. It only took half a tube to do a fair job, and tomorrow I will sand it down, and early next week I will paint it. I have to wait on the weather again, and my body man agreed to let me have a cup of hardener, and he's closed on the weekend.

I intend to have it ready by Thanksgiving, which in Canada is the second weekend in October.

Canoepatch 01.jpg Canoepatch 02.jpg

OK, this isn't exciting, except to me, but it means I am making progress. :D

I am a BAD canoe painter!

This is my canoe after painting it with my spray gun. I used Tremclad, thinned about 10%. I learned abut using the spray gun on the fly, adjusting the knobs as I went along until it looked right. There is so much red paint on the ground it looks like a Criminal Minds crime scene. I now hate spray guns. There are a few blotches, and the patch I did and thought was smooth, wasn't. I'm going to have to have a story about crashing into a rock on Moon River (In Central Ontario near Bala.) It is certainly red, and tomorrow I may take a few more shots at it to even out things.

DSCF6239.JPG DSCF6240.JPG

It looks better in the photos than it does on the ground...

dont blame the gun yet.. take and practice with some thinner on card board to get the gun set right with the pattern then go to the paint and adjust to get good pattern before painting the canoe again.. also the area that you bondod could possibly be touch sanded to get the roughness out of it then recoat the whole canoe.. like wet sanding a car for the final finish..