3 weeks ago today

Bob Gibson

After about 50 years of doing it... I quit smoking :woot:
I didn't want to mention it until I figured I had it beat.
Tried using Chantix (free sample from the Doc.) but I gave me dreams that would freak out Timothy Leary so I went cold turkey.
Pretty grumpy for a week or so, and I eat like a horse but it's getting easier.

Good deal Bob,

I've never indulged (at least not past a couple with beers as a 20 something but quit even that years ago) but dad still chews (after quitting many times) and loml quit ~15 years ago so I know how it goes :eek: Do be careful of the easy backslide, it only takes one and one turns to two and .. its an easy slide to make.

It's been 40 years since I quit smoking and I can still remember what it was like - both the smoking and the quiting! :eek:

One thing that helped me get through quiting was chewing gum and Certs mints. Also, I always had a pen or pencil in my hand to substitute for the cigarette, unless my hands were busy doing something else. :)

On the weight part of it, I was aware from many other people that there were usually issues with weight gain. Being so aware of it, I actually lost five pounds in the first three months of quiting and never gained it back - well, until way farther down the road!!! :rolleyes:

Hang in there, you'll make it! :thumb:

Well Bob Congratulations, a wise, but difficult step to take. Like others have said, don't be tempted to go back. I quit about 46 years ago and glad I did. You will be surprised how much better you will feel.

Congrats, Bob! Keep it up. :thumb: I quit smoking real cigs about a year and a half ago and switched to electronic ones. I'm not done yet, but I've cut the nicotine level in half over time, and still going lower. And I'm feeling the positive effects of not inhaling the tar and other nasty stuff in real smoke.

Good on you, Bob. I quit cold turkey too...chain smoked cigars and pipes... on 1 Jan 1972. Pipe smoking grandfather died of mouth cancer. That woke me up. Never looked back. Stay strong.

26 years smoke free for me. Like you, Bob, I quit 'cold turkey.' Nasty for a few weeks, but I've never looked back after that.

BTW, a few years ago, a friend gave me a 'congratulatory' cigar for some significant event (I've forgotten what), and when I tried to smoke it, it made me sick! Quite a change from the old days!

Well done Bob. Not been a smoker myself so cant relate but keep at it. Your bank balance will look better for it . :) more money for tools. And from what i have heard your food will begin to taste better.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Best of luck in stopping. Been 38years of smoke free living. Used the saved money on diapers for our daughter.
Guess that was a good trade off. Now cigarette smell is very offensive to me.
David

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :thumb: I've mentally got this habit licked now.

I didn't really realize how expensive this habit was. I'd go through a carton of Marlboros a week at about $54.00 a carton. That's about $2800.00 a year :eek:

That's great to hear Bob, keep it up! :thumb: Pops smoked for 30 years straight, he's been free of it for about 25+ years now. He did eat a lot of candy at first, but curved that pretty quickly.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :thumb: I've mentally got this habit licked now.

I didn't really realize how expensive this habit was. I'd go through a carton of Marlboros a week at about $54.00 a carton. That's about $2800.00 a year :eek:

You'll make it, Bob!

Cost of cigs? Part of my motivation in 1974 was the cost. When the price of a carton of Winston went above $3, I was motivated!

Congrats Bob!! Keep it up! :thumb: I think I read that after 2weeks you can see a difference physically...have you noticed anything?

Was never a smoker much, but started chewing skoal my freshman year of college...if I wasn't eating or sleeping I had a chew in for about 18 yrs. A local billboard campaign showing gum and lip cancer and the birth of my daughter made me quit cold turkey. Was tough, but sunflower seeds got me thru the worst. This was so much harder for me than quitting coffee...I still drink decaf though so maybe that's why? :huh:

...I didn't really realize how expensive this habit was. I'd go through a carton of Marlboros a week at about $54.00 a carton. That's about $2800.00 a year :eek:

Yeah, it's pricey, huh? Now you can spend your savings on something you've always wanted...like bagpipe lessons or a pet iguana. :D I was spending about that amount on cigs. Now I spend about $5.00 per month on e-cig juice and I think most of the rest goes towards guitars. :)