Bottle Stoppers

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Part of my turning practice exercises over the past few months has included bottle stoppers. Here are two that I did a month or so ago. Yeah, slow to post, I know.

This one is cherry over a natural cork stopper assembly. Sanded up to 1000, applied three coats of blo/naptha, then topped it with several coats of rattle can lacquer.
BtlStpr_Cherry_a.jpg

This stopper is made with dogwood and a teardrop stopper. I have several sections of small dogwood trunks that had begun to rot on the ends because I left them outside under a roof but ends exposed. After cutting into a couple of the trunk sections, I subdivided the pieces into some I will use for pens and some larger ones for stoppers and who knows what. I stabilized several chunks for stoppers and pens using Cactus Juice. That seemed to work for this stopper. Finish is the same as the cherry stopper above.
BtlStpr_Dogwood_a.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome!

Nicely done, Bill. :thumb: Bottle stoppers are a great way to use up little pieces of wood that would otherwise get tossed.

Those are some very nice ones. I like both. Have you checked out Ruth Niles bottle stoppers. That is my favorite hardware for them. I also use her mandrel. It is fun to go through her gallery on her site. Lots of ideas. One of mine is in there about 2/3's of the way down the page.

Those are some very nice ones. I like both. Have you checked out Ruth Niles bottle stoppers. That is my favorite hardware for them. I also use her mandrel. It is fun to go through her gallery on her site. Lots of ideas. One of mine is in there about 2/3's of the way down the page.

Thanks, Paul. I just took a look at Ruth's site. I have a small stock of stoppers from PSI as well as two of their mandrels - might have to order some stoppers from Ruth next time.

The stopper you have on Ruth's gallery page looks great! Is that a medallion on top of it?

It is the base (the brass part) of a 12 gauge shotgun shell. They were very popular with family members. Here is a better picture of it. The second one has deer antler on it.

IMG_2785s.JPG

Well that is a real secret, but okay, I'll let it out. It is called rattle can lacquer. ;) I probably sanded them to 600 grit first. It was a couple years ago so not real sure. That is how I did the four I made this year.

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. Sounds like the main difference is that I used oil on mine. I've experimented with different combinations on other small turnings - oil helps on some and makes no difference on other woods. Rattle can lacquer seems to be a common item for these types of projects.

Bill, (and Paul;)) those stoppers look great! :thumb: I usually sand to 400 or 600, put some danish oil on them and set them on a rack to dry. A few days later I start to hit a group of them with 5-6 light coats of rattle can laquer.

Nice work Bill. I like dogwood too, great for handles. Nice to turn but it is a bit plain Jane on the grain side.
Lee Valley often has a few small blocks in their clearance section for 50cents.

Bill my apologies if i missed your mentioning it but why did you need to switch lathes to do this turning?
Have you made the new lathe more portable? Or was there a short coming in the bigger lathe?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nice work Bill. I like dogwood too, great for handles. Nice to turn but it is a bit plain Jane on the grain side.
Lee Valley often has a few small blocks in their clearance section for 50cents.

The dogwood I got from my in-laws property had some pretty nice grain to start with. I inadvertently allowed most of it to become spalted by not covering the ends while stored under the roof of my firewood stand. In any case, what I have now looks pretty good. I've stabilized the smaller cuts before turning them.

Bill my apologies if i missed your mentioning it but why did you need to switch lathes to do this turning?
Have you made the new lathe more portable? Or was there a short coming in the bigger lathe?

Three previous threads will explain: One Two Three

The new lathe is actually a bit bigger and more powerful. My old Jet was 3/4hp; the PSI is 1hp. The Jet could do spindles to 35"; the PSI to 40". The main thing I wanted was a variable speed lathe.

Last edited by a moderator: