a couple of my favorite modern blues artists

I like Ana and Sam...always had a soft spot for female guitarists. :D For some reason, the "roots" style guys like Keb Mo and Gary Clark have never really been my cup o' Darjeeling.

My favorite lately has been a local Albuquerque kid, Ryan McGarvey. He's done well for himself over the past few years with multiple European and US tours. He was voted Best New Talent in the 2013 Guitar Player Magazine reader's poll, has played Eric Clapton's Crossroads event, and shared the stage with a lot of the big name guys. Joe Bonamassa is one of his big influences, as it Eric Johnson. He was playing he local bars here (some of the same places I'm playing these days) when he was still in high school...his parents had to accompany him to the gigs. Plus, he graduated from the same high school as me. I've chatted with him quite a bit, and he's real down-to-earth and humble. Good kid.

This video is of an entire show...you can skip around to various places in the video to get some samples of his playing. The song at 37:30 hums right along, and the intro to the song after that is very Eric Johnson-like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCg8D9nNbwE

As an aside, the drummer in this video is another local guy, and he teaches lessons to the wife of one of my best friends when he's in town. (He's no longer touring with Ryan, but working mostly in LA these days with a female singer who's also from ABQ.)

wow! I had never heard of Samantha Fish. She is a very talented musician for one so young. Its great to see!!!! My wife and I watched several of her videos on you tube last night.