Small Walnut Oops! Bowl

Jeff Bower

Yesterday my dad called and asked me to come over to help "Cut up a little box elder" His neighbor had brought 3 slices about 12" thick and 3.5-4ft in diameter back from a farm in MN. Spent about 2hrs helping with that and brought home 4 nice sized blanks with more left there if I need them later. This got my turning juices flowing. I've been so busy working around the house this summer, I hadn't turned anything since April. I took one of the box elder blanks and enjoyed slicing thru the wet wood like butter. Rough out a 10" bowl that I'll get back to this winter. All is well. :rolleyes:

Then I grabbed a walnut blank that I'd cut back in March. Mounted it and realized it was dry enough to turn to final shape. I had an idea to turn a winged bowl because I knew the blank had some nice figure in it. I finished the bottom, put a tenon on it and mounted it in the chuck. Got the wings to about 3/8" and started on the bowls interior. Was looking great, but saw some tearout...just one more light cut to clean that up...DOH!!:doh: I cut to much and the wings went flying...Glad I was standing to the side and the pieces went away from me. :eek: Bad words were said, I picked up the wings and snapped a pic of what it would have looked like. More bad words were said but the bowl was still in the chuck. I finished it up and put some oil on it. My daughter claimed it to put change in...she's happy, so I'm happy.:D

Attachments

• [5].jpg
    [5].jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 42
  • [2].jpg
    [2].jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 41
  • [4].jpg
    [4].jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
  • [3].jpg
    [3].jpg