House building update

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Met with Kevin the civil engineer this morning. The plan was to wait on the state for approval of an alternative septic system to be used as the reserve in the event of the primary septic system failing. This was supposed to happen in September. Now it is December but the word came out as a definitive "it will be done." by then. Lots of pressure from the real estate/construction industry here. So the bad news is we are still in wait mode.

The good news is a couple of hundred more square feet will become available for building the house. Without that extra square footage, the project is not fiscally responsible.

The other good news is that the 'shop' will now also be bigger as it is in the basement. I will be looking for a fork lift mast to re-purpose into an elevator.

By the weekend I am supposed to have a new drawing showing the amount and location of buildable square footage. With that in hand, I can also start on the plans.

So, more good news than bad news! :highfive:

The other good news is that the 'shop' will now also be bigger as it is in the basement. I will be looking for a fork lift mast to re-purpose into an elevator.

I'm guessing that means its not going to be a walk out basement :D The forklift to elevator idea is pretty neat, that'll definitely be helpful getting stuff in and out.

The lot slopes 7º and it will be a walkout basement. Hopefully I can make the 'elevator' accessible from outside the house and from inside the house, basically near the carport and the kitchen on the upper end of the lot.

Ah nice the walkout opens up a lot of nice options for getting some natural light.

Curious what you would use the elevator inside the house for? I'm guessing you aren't planning on moving barrels of wine up and down... or are you :D

If I told my wife she needed a forklift to use as an elevator, she would probably hit me over the head with her purse.

btw--elevators need permits, and regular inspections in most areas, if in yours, the building inspector will want to see

those before issuing an occupancy permit.

btw2. Seems like a great idea, having an elevator!