picture frames

Dan Noren

Staff member
how was i to know it? but, there they were, hiding in and amongst the scraps. now i will be making 8 picture frames (3 maple with walnut and santos mahogany inlay, 2 brazilian cherry with maple inlay, and 3 santos mahogany with maple inlay) for the upcoming craft shows. i have the backs with easels on order, and will get the glass once they are finished. so far, all parts are cut to size, rabbets for inlay have been cut, and the inlay is just waiting to be planed to thickness.

Attachments

• 001 picture frame parts cut to size.jpg
    001 picture frame parts cut to size.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 002 rabbets cut and inlay waiting to be planed to thickness.jpg
    002 rabbets cut and inlay waiting to be planed to thickness.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 48
I always enjoy making picture frames.

I am happy to be able to do the whole process from taking the picture, editing it, printing it, matting, and framing without leaving home.

-Darryl

welcome darryl! whereabouts are you from? today the inlay was planed down to size, and glued into the rabbets after splitting them lengthwise. after that, it was trim them as close as possible on the band saw, and ran them through the planer until flush. tomorrow it will be cutting the rabbets, and making the miter cuts. then i can assemble them at my leisure.

Attachments

• 008 all inlay parts planed flush.jpg
    008 all inlay parts planed flush.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 007 all inlay parts trimmed close.jpg
    007 all inlay parts trimmed close.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 006 inlay glued into hard maple.jpg
    006 inlay glued into hard maple.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 005 inlay glued into santos and brazilian cherry.jpg
    005 inlay glued into santos and brazilian cherry.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 004 inlay split lenghtwise.jpg
    004 inlay split lenghtwise.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 003 inlay planed to thickness.jpg
    003 inlay planed to thickness.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 30
Hey, Darryl! I agree with that!

Also, welcome to the Family. :wave:

I just noticed you joined recently. Sure hope you like it here!

How could he not like it here---I mean, just think of all of the wonderful people, plus a few odd balls, characters, gabby people, punsters, and even a few woodworkers.

Welcome to the family Darryl from one of the odd ball, gabby, punsters.

Enjoy,
JimB

got back to them today, and got the rabbets cut for the glass and back. tomorrow i hope to make all of the miter cuts.

Attachments

• 009 rabbets routed.jpg
    009 rabbets routed.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21
found out yesterday that the package with the backs had shown up at pop's house, and started cutting the miters. one of the santos mahogany parts really blew out, so i'm down one frame.

Attachments

• 010 one end miter cut.jpg
    010 one end miter cut.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22
finished all the other miter cuts today (while waiting for the glue to set up on the wine bottle holder cutting jig). all went well except for when i laid them out for the picture, i found that i had cut on of the maple frames with 3 short sides instead of 2 :doh:. down to six frames, live and learn i guess....

Attachments

• 011 all miters cut and ready for sanding.jpg
    011 all miters cut and ready for sanding.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 25