Stud finders

I've never had much success with stud finders. Anytime I'm within proximity of one, it just starts beeping and the lights start flashing uncontrollably. I had one that actually caught fire.

Anytime I'm within proximity of one, it just starts beeping and the lights start flashing uncontrollably. I had one that actually caught fire.
That's what happens to me when I get close to a cute young girls in a bikini. :saythat:
Anyhow....I have a Crafstman given to me years ago. Works very well. I consider it a household essential.

I never had any luck with stud finders but I bought the Franklin last year when I was redoing my garage. It works great and is very easy to use, the best feature is it shows the center of the stud no guessing. I highly recommend it.

Stud finders with one layer of drywall over studs, no problem. Stud finders in an older house, with plaster and lathe walls, no luck. Mixed luck with other plaster situations.
I would be interested, if someone knew of one that worked, over plaster and lathe, and detected the studs through it!

Stud finders with one layer of drywall over studs, no problem. Stud finders in an older house, with plaster and lathe walls, no luck. Mixed luck with other plaster situations.
I would be interested, if someone knew of one that worked, over plaster and lathe, and detected the studs through it!

me to that was why i asked.. the best thing i have used is a hammer and nail in the inconspicuous spot:)

A few years ago when I was installing artwork (hanging pictures) in the homes and offices of the rich and famous, my boss Perry had an assortment of high-dollar stud finders, and none of them seemed to be right 100% of the time. more often than not we still ended up using the "nail and hammer probe" approach to find the stud.

A few years ago when I was installing artwork (hanging pictures) in the homes and offices of the rich and famous, my boss Perry had an assortment of high-dollar stud finders, and none of them seemed to be right 100% of the time. more often than not we still ended up using the "nail and hammer probe" approach to find the stud.

well vaughn you need to get back to work on those economy version xray glasses so we can just look threw the drywall and see where the studs are and dont forget to install the human filter so they will get UL approved..