A First

I keep expecting that to happen, I suspect I'm not trying hard enough :D

Very nice little funnel though, I like the shape of the inside better than the shape of the outside (disregarding the hole ).

A rite of passage, for sure. :) There will likely be more, too. :D

...Ryan, I still need to work on the transition from side wall to foot, swinging around the corner as it were. Where's my copy of Turning a Basic Bowl...

A lot of folks -- especially beginners -- are hesitant to take too much wood off the outside. There seems to be a mindset of needing to "save the wood", so they end up with relatively straight sides and a flat bottom. Try to not have any transition or corner at all. Instead, envision (and make) a continuous curve from the tenon to the rim, so as to avoid the flat-bottomed "dog dish" shape a lot of beginners end up with. Think of a cereal bowl instead of a cookie tin. ;)

Here's a quickie comparison...

Bowl Profiles 2.jpg

Ryan, I still need to work on the transition from side wall to foot, swinging around the corner as it were. Where's my copy of Turning a Basic Bowl...

:D Not something i can claim to have mastered either. Personally I find the inside the harder part and it looks like you're getting a good handle on that :thumb:

actually I turned this more to try out the re-worked gouges than anything else. I didn't even think about the profile, I was concentrating more on how the gouges were cutting.
I suspected that might be the case. ;) How'd the gouges feel? It's nice using a freshly-sharpened gouge, huh? :thumb:

I suspected that might be the case. ;) How'd the gouges feel? It's nice using a freshly-sharpened gouge, huh? :thumb:

That was great! Naturally the 'right' angle helped immensely with the bowl gouges. Much more about technique than about form... today's challenge is getting the chain back on the 16" electric homelite I borrowed for a day. #frustration (Mods, that # is a hash-tag, NOT a heiroglyph).