can you make this?

thanks Karl and the rest of you for replys on this question.. and i was in the round about area with your pricing karl.. if i were to do it my normal way.. i told the person that i couldnt do it for that price and to go get the m there if they wanted them.. havnt heard back since.. another coincidence was karls statement on the i thought it would be more than that or you are way off base.. the last one was they expected it to be that or more.. so i must be getting closer on pricing..:)

Don't beat yourself up. Don't cheapen your name out in the marketplace. Don't even think about taking this on. You will be losing more than money.

Encourage those folks to go for it elsewhere. Not only do they not know quality, they don't appreciate it either. They are not your core customer if you want to be in the custom woodworking business. Your customers are custom, too. Not the run of the mill who would buy that junk. Those folks failed to qualify to be your customers.

:saythat: I certainly did! And I would repeat it, again and again.

This is one of the best answers I've ever seen on this topic. I'm in that dilemma right now, building a trestle table out of cherry provided by the owners. The best I can do is 40 hours of documented, serious labor, and if they balk at my price, I will just show them your response, Carol. My wife gets SO PO'd at me if I lower my charges just because someone is a co-worker...

This is one of the best answers I've ever seen on this topic. I'm in that dilemma right now, building a trestle table out of cherry provided by the owners. The best I can do is 40 hours of documented, serious labor, and if they balk at my price, I will just show them your response, Carol. My wife gets SO PO'd at me if I lower my charges just because someone is a co-worker...

My rule of thumb... if someone wants the "friend" discount, would you do the work for nothing? For a friend? If they are a candidate for free, then at most charge them a token fee, or a token fee plus pick up the dinner tab the next time we go out, so they know they are just paying for your sandpaper and glue, and don't quote that price to their friends to promote your services. If they are not a candidate for "free" then give them the price you would charge the next person, and the next. Not just $10 per hour times 40 hours.