new run of pepper mills

Dan Noren

Staff member
nearing the home stretch for this year gang! with the stuff for the fair done, and most of the flatwork in progress of one form or another, its time to return to spinny-land. for the upcoming craft shows i've decided to make a new dozen of the pepper mills that went so well, this time in ambrosia maple and walnut. so far i have the blanks cut, and the centers marked. hopefully i'll get to spinning them soon.

Attachments

• 002 centers marked.jpg
    002 centers marked.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 001 all blanks cut to size.jpg
    001 all blanks cut to size.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 58
with all of the flat work mostly out of the way, it is time to head on over to the spinny realm. got the lathe all rigged and ready. first off though, i need to do a serious touch up on the persuader. seems someone had been using it to persuade metal, and now i need to do some cleanup on it before anything else.

Attachments

• 003 lathe ready to go.jpg
    003 lathe ready to go.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 44
  • beat up persuader.jpg
    beat up persuader.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 46
I think you are inspiring me! :D I have two pepper mill mechanisms that I haven't started on. With winter closing in, though, I may not start on them until spring. I'm about to shut down woodworking for the year. The first of October is about the latest I can do stuff ourside.

got to working on the pepper mills yesterday. started out with the clean up of the persuader. it is a touch slimmer now, as some of the gouges were a bit on the deep side. once again i advised pop that it shouldn't be used on metal. but now it looks as good as new again. i got the first five of the blanks turned to round (there's gonna be 12 of them ya know), and i decided that it was too warm to continue, and i was getting a bit on the tired side.

Attachments

• 004 first five blanks turned to round.jpg
    004 first five blanks turned to round.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 33
  • persuader after touch up.jpg
    persuader after touch up.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 28
got all of the blanks turned to round today, and got the first one to the point where it is at it's final diameter, and marked out for the beading.

Attachments

• 006 first blank to size.jpg
    006 first blank to size.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 28
  • 005 all blanks turned to round.jpg
    005 all blanks turned to round.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
got back to it this afternoon. since it was already at the final diameter, it was then off to turning the center down to the 2" final diameter, and turning the beads. with that done, and the outside sanded from 100 to 400 grit, it was time to cut the inset for the mill, and with a good snug fit assured, then to bore the center hole most of the way through. i take out the last 1/4" out on the drill press, as i have found that when i do it on the lathe, i get a ragged edge hole at the bottom. after this was done, it was on to finishing with 3 good coats of my pen finish, and a bit of the white hut wax. well, its one down, and eleven to go....

Attachments

• 007 first one detail turned.jpg
    007 first one detail turned.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 008 first one inset and through holes done.jpg
    008 first one inset and through holes done.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 009 finish applied.jpg
    009 finish applied.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 010 polished with hut.jpg
    010 polished with hut.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 011 first one finished.jpg
    011 first one finished.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 30
Nice wor Dan, they going to go like hotcakes. :)
Thinking this may be a great Xmas gift to make. Did you mention where you got the grinder?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hey Dan, Good looking bunch of mills.... Looks like your doing the old style crank mills... haven't tried any of those myself... my friend that I turn with occasionally does though... he recessing the bottom of the brass into the wood like you did and even has little recesses where the screw nubs stick out... I prefer the crush grind... to me they're quicker to do and more forgiving in my design mistakes.... I also do the little 4" crank mills from PSI... I also tried the little 3 1/2 ones they offered, but for some reason, the kits are more expensive than the 4" ones... go figure.

At any rate, I have 10 mill components that I have to get started on this week.
Good luck with your mills.