My Shopnotes Box Joint Jig

Kevin Sadaj

It's been months since I've been in. Looks like you all have been busy as I've been. I've been building a bit of Arts and Crafts furniture, improving the shop, and totally overextending myself with friends and family with, "assure, I can make that." You know the drill.

I made this box joint jig over the weekend. I haven't out it through its paces yet, but I think it will be a good tool in my shop. I made a few minor mistake which I hope I can salvage. Whaddaya think?

The box joint jig lets you adjust the jig in very fine increments. The system is designed to adjust both the size and spacing of the pins and slots that make up a box joint. Turning the fine tuning knobs, installed on the left side as you look at the jig, it can be set to cut slots that range in size from a width of about 1/4″ to almost an inch. All the spacing is as custom as you want.
There are knobs in the back that allow you to lock all these fine tuned spacings down so they don’t move around when you make your cuts.
I built it with wood I had in the shop – oak for the fence and maple for the rest. I bought the hardware but if I make this jig again (like for friends, I probably could scrounge from what I have in my jars). I have never built a jig like this so I made a few mistakes and had to rework some of the wood parts, and made several practices on threading for the inserts.
Two problems: I cut the rabbet in the platform from two pieces of wood since I was using wood I had. Since I miscut one of the first pieces I had to go back later and rabbet a new piece and therefore the router depth had to be reset. This created the problem of having them not perfectly flat to each other. So I will either have to shim one side with paper and then find a way to adhere it, or redo that whole platform. Probably the later.
If you build this, the plans are not free. They are $5 which I think is worth it. There are a lot of free plans out there for other jigs, but in my research this seemed like an easier jig to make and people overall seemed to say good things about the jig.

Disgusted

Pretty disgusted with this jig and myself. Can't get decent joints out of it. Since my dado set is small, I can't cut even 1/2" stock. Having a hard time with the fine adjustment. I don't think I drilled perfect 90 degree holes for each so they are binding. This is real disappointing

Kevin, I'm sorry to read this. I have had no problem with mine. You have the hardware, make another try at it. I made mine out of some nice straight grain oak I had. I have a 8" dado set, how small is yours?

I'm gonna chalk this up to lack of experience, Paul. I'm all set to remake it tomorrow. I usually do better on things with practice. My dado set is a 6" set. I've bought so much new stuff lately, I can't run out at and get a bigger set right now. I have a nice piece of 1/4" Baltic birch that I'll use for the material rest. This will solve two of my problems: it will give me more use of my blade, and since it's going to be cut from one piece, they will be flat to each other.

I'm optimistic and hope to be cutting some nice box joints. I have to. Requests for work are pouring in!!!

Got it working today. Made a 1/4" platform, which required some slight modifications to the rest of the jig. I made a couple tests and I'm in the ballpark. Just have to get more practice. I'll post pics soon