#51 spokeshave

Roger Tulk

This came in the mail today. It is a Stanley #51 spokeshave of WW1 vintage, restored very nicely. It came from eBay by way of my brother in PA. I now owe him a bottle of Forty Creek for his services.

It is badly in need of sharpening and honing, as the blade has a visible slight S curve along its length, and is scored by whatever it was sharpened on. Other than that, the finish is darn near perfect. The blade looks even better in real life than it does in the photo.

51 01.jpg 51 02.jpg

Hey there Roger. Nice looking spoke shave you got. I have one too, but not a pretty as yours. They can be a handy little tool. I actually have 3 shaves, the #51, a #52 and a #63. The 63 has a convex curved sole for doing inside radii. The thing I have noted is the differences between the #51 and the #52. The handles or grips, are closer to the work surface on the 52, than the 51. The blade angle is the same on both, About 40 degrees. I am thinking the #51, ith the higher positioned grips would facilitate working on wider, flatter surfaces???

Now, if I can post a photo of mine, you can see.

Good catch, Roger. Sharpening the blade should be an easy job. Then you can enjoy the smooth cutting of this tool.

100_4328.jpg