Shop Notes Variable Finger Joint Jig

glenn bradley

I have been enamored of this method ever since I saw David O. Wade demonstrate it back in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGuqXUI-eg

The Shop Notes version popped up in 2012 and still I failed to execute. Many thanks to Rennie, Robert and others who have recently followed through; you guys finally got me going :thumb:. Nothing new here so I didn't post progress shots.

Variable FInger Joint Jig.jpg

Glenn, looks good. I know I will be putting mine to use in the next couple of months. Have to make a nightstand and dresser to go with the crib/bed that is in progress. I will be borrowing some of your 'chest of drawers' ideas. Best of luck with yours .. and we are all looking forward to that first project that puts it to use.

I made my first test fingers with this today. I finally got caught up to the project that calls for it ;-) Anyway, very satisfactory for the joints I will be using on a crematory urn. Here's the test pieces in 1/2" stock with 5/8" long fingers:

Variable FInger Joint Jig (1).jpgVariable FInger Joint Jig (2).jpgVariable FInger Joint Jig (3).jpg

Glenn what was wrong with ibox jig? I thought u had one. Surely that would have done the job.?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The major limitation of the i-Box and many other finger joint jigs is that they only do fixed spacing. I generally only use fixed spacing for utility items.

Well, that worked nicely. I assume I will get faster at it once I have done more than one :rolleyes:. Right now it's quicker on the tablesaw but, I'm used to that method. This method is messier but, it will be a lot more convenient on longer stock like drawer boxes and chest sides.

Variable FInger Joint Jig (3).jpg . Variable FInger Joint Jig (4).jpg

Its official; Robert Horky's a genius.

Variable FInger Joint Jig (8).jpg

This catches most of the spoil. Without it, there was spoil all over the bench top and floor. Now there's just a small drift of waste on the floor. The bungee cord makes it quick to put on and off so I will actually use it.

Thanks again Robert.