My latest Bowl

William Young

At 10.00 AM yesterday this was a bunch of glued up scraps in the form of a flat board on my bench .
Three hours later it was this bowl . Most of the time was glue drying time .

Finished EXP 1.JPG

Finished Exp 2.JPG

Nice looking bowl, William. Good combination of woods and shapes!!!

Do you have photos of your glue-up and other steps you use before turning a bowl like this? I'm just learning.

Here Ya go Bill Arnold.
This was the glue up . It was four inches wide to be cut into segments to make a 8" diameter bowl .

Exp 1.JPG

Here are the segments cut. They are just dry placed together in that photo . Then they were glued together to make a flat board . The board was then cut into rings at an angle and stacked and glued to form the bowl .

Exp 2.JPG

Thanks, William. I think I got it.

The segmented board (after glue up) was planed to a thickness of 0.753 which required a cutting angle of 1.494 to produce 1/4" thick rings that stack almost perfectly on each other and only need a 5 to 10 minute sanding on the lathe to a final wall thickness of about 3/16 before applying the finish .

That is amazing! Waaaay too much geometry for my brain. I'd have to see that in person before I could even understand what you did. Very pretty.

The segmented board (after glue up) was planed to a thickness of 0.753 which required a cutting angle of 1.494 to produce 1/4" thick rings that stack almost perfectly on each other and only need a 5 to 10 minute sanding on the lathe to a final wall thickness of about 3/16 before applying the finish .

What do you use to cut those rings? How do you determine and set the correct cut angle? Or is the cut angle a known value?

What do you use to cut those rings? How do you determine and set the correct cut angle? Or is the cut angle a known value?

Every board has to be measured in thousands of an inch for thickness and then the angle of the cut has to be set in thousands of an inch at a different angle to correspond . I have a woodworking discussion site of my own with over a dozen different forums . One forum is called Ringmaster Lathe Turning . It is the most comprehensive discussion and show and tell board on the entire internet on this particular subject of making bowls from a flat board.
I have also made a bunch of videos that show pretty well every step of the process from start to finish . Here is one of my videos showing how a flat board is cut into rings to form a bowl in five minutes and I have others that show how it is sanded smooth enough to 400 grit and beyond for finishing also in five minutes per bowl .

The Ringmaster has been around for a long time but there has never been a lot of discussion on it so some would buy one years ago and hardly ever use it because they didn't have much instruction to go by . I like to think I have helped out many with this in the past two years since I got mine and have made well over 300 bowls so far. It is an exacting art and does take a little practice at the start but like all things it becomes easy when you know how . . lol . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pes0Qj8npms

Every board has to be measured in thousands of an inch for thickness and then the angle of the cut has to be set in thousands of an inch at a different angle to correspond . I have a woodworking discussion site of my own with over a dozen different forums . One forum is called Ringmaster Lathe Turning . It is the most comprehensive discussion and show and tell board on the entire internet on this particular subject of making bowls from a flat board.
I have also made a bunch of videos that show pretty well every step of the process from start to finish . Here is one of my videos showing how a flat board is cut into rings to form a bowl in five minutes and I have others that show how it is sanded smooth enough to 400 grit and beyond for finishing also in five minutes per bowl .

The Ringmaster has been around for a long time but there has never been a lot of discussion on it so some would buy one years ago and hardly ever use it because they didn't have much instruction to go by . I like to think I have helped out many with this in the past two years since I got mine and have made well over 300 bowls so far. It is an exacting art and does take a little practice at the start but like all things it becomes easy when you know how . . lol . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pes0Qj8npms

Thanks for posting that video. Very interesting. I'd like a link to your site where you have more in-depth information if you please. :)

Very interesting technique, but personally, I got into woodturning to get away from the need to measure anything. ;) I can't even tell you the angles of my tool bevels. :D

Thanks for posting that video. Very interesting. I'd like a link to your site where you have more in-depth information if you please. :)

I have not had a chance to go through the rules and regulations here yet so not sure if it is allowable to post a link to another woodworking discussion site or not. Many sites do not allow it (including my own) without administrators approval .