Whole Wheat Bread

William Young

Just discovered there is a cooking forum in this site . Way Kool :thumb:

I make all my home made whole wheat bread and even mill the flour from whole hard red spring wheat berries. .

Bread Aug 29.JPG

Good looking bread! I make mine from locally sourced whole wheat or white flour. I mix the dough in the bread machine, then knead it a bit and shape it before baking. I use the simplest possible recipe, and everyone still raves about my bread.

Welcome William, those look really nice!

The cooking topic seemed to evolve because people who do things tend to do all sorts of things and it's kind of a fun community in general.

What kind of mill do you use? I mostly use my nutrimill which makes nice fine flour for bread (and is nice low effort ;D).

Also do you sift? I had some difficulties with hard red having a high bran content and cutting the gluten.. Do mostly switch to hard white. Your loaves look nice and high though so guessing either sifted our a really long soak/preferment.

Good looking bread! I make mine from locally sourced whole wheat or white flour. I mix the dough in the bread machine, then knead it a bit and shape it before baking. I use the simplest possible recipe, and everyone still raves about my bread.

That sounds like a good idea . My bread maker makes small , or large or extra large loaves . Those shown are extra large . I cut them in half and then slice them on an electric slicer to make four small loaves . It's the only way I can make the slices from a bread machine fit in a toaster .
Never thought of using the machine just for mixing and then put the dough in regular size loaf pans to bake .
At what stage do you dump the dough out of the machine. ? I would imagine it would have to be punched down and then allow to raise again in the loaf pans before baking in the oven .

Welcome William, those look really nice!

The cooking topic seemed to evolve because people who do things tend to do all sorts of things and it's kind of a fun community in general.

What kind of mill do you use? I mostly use my nutrimill which makes nice fine flour for bread (and is nice low effort ;D).

Also do you sift? I had some difficulties with hard red having a high bran content and cutting the gluten.. Do mostly switch to hard white. Your loaves look nice and high though so guessing either sifted our a really long soak/preferment.

I mill the whole wheat in the Vitamix that shows in my picture. It does a wonderful job of making fine flour same as bought in a bag but more nutritious . I have tried both white and red hard spring wheat and prefer the more nutty taste of the red. . I have no problem with the bran content. Never needed to sift any flour . Old guys like me need the bran . . lol . .
I do add about 1/3 white flour but a person has to be careful to get it labelled as "bread" flour and not all purpose because the bread flour has a higher gluten content .

I was going to ask if you used a bread maker judging from the look of the loaf. After many hand injuries, kneeding is out of the question, but doing a "Dough Only" setting allows for putting it into a more traditional loaf pan. Good looking
bread!! edit...:doh: just saw that was already brought up ;)

I was going to ask if you used a bread maker judging from the look of the loaf. After many hand injuries, kneeding is out of the question, but doing a "Dough Only" setting allows for putting it into a more traditional loaf pan. Good looking
bread!! edit...:doh: just saw that was already brought up ;)

Yes , I do use a bread machine and asked Roger Tulk about his method of using traditional loaf pans in a reply I made to him above.
He will probably pop in here sooner or later and answer my message to him .

Never thought of using the machine just for mixing and then put the dough in regular size loaf pans to bake .
At what stage do you dump the dough out of the machine. ? I would imagine it would have to be punched down and then allow to raise again in the loaf pans before baking in the oven .

All the bread machines I have had (and worn out) have had a "dough." cycle. Lacking a dough cycle, you would take the bread out while it is almost finished the last rising before the baking kicks in. The dough cycle on my machine is 1hr 30min. I scrunch it down as I take it out of the machine, then flatten it down and knead it briefly. Once I roll it up into a loaf, I can put it in a bread pan, or bake it on a baking sheet like an Italian loaf. That is what I usually do. This also gives you more control over the final rising before baking.

See my previous thread on bread.

Last edited:
Thanks Roger .
My machine is a Panasonic. It is only about a year old . It is a fairly deluxe model so I am certain it should have a dough setting . I will check it out. The whole wheat bread XL loaf setting I use now takes 2 hours so the dough setting will probably be like yours for 1.5 hours because my extra half hour would be automatic baking time . .
I have never bought a loaf of bread from a store since I got the machine .

Cool, I've seen several people use the vitamix with good luck, already had the mill by the time we got the fancy blender but can certainly see the appeal of a multitasker. Counter space is always at a premium!

The red is certainly nuttier tasting, and cutting it a little with white like that would certainly lighten it up. I've found out also depends a bit on the type of bread, sandwich loaves are a smidge more forgiving than say a French bread.

100% in agreement with the more nutritios part, and it tastes a whole lot better to boot!!

For those of you who have difficulty kneading, there are also a number of no knead techniques that rely on simply letting the dough hydrate for a long time and then a few gentle folds. I'll see if I can get time to do an explanatory post/demo sometime the week after next.