A Bad Case of GAS

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I've been having bad GAS attacks lately. "GAS" being Gear Acquisition Syndrome. These poor orphan guitars keep showing up on eBay and I feel sorry for them, so I make room for them in my stable.

Here's the latest new member of the family...it's a PRS SE Custom 22, about 12 years old. I didn't have a teal-colored guitar, so I needed this one. :D

PRS%20SE%20Custom%2022%20Teal%201%20-%20600.jpg

PRS%20SE%20Custom%2022%20Teal%202%20-%20600.jpg

The wood and finish on this one are almost flawless. No dings, dents, or scratches. It obviously hasn't been played much at all. I did learn an important lesson on this one, though: Don't take a guitar to a gig without having at least plugged it in to make sure all the electronics work. On the first song of the night last Friday, I discovered that the neck pickup was not working at all. :doh: I had put new strings on it and set up the action and intonation, but I never did actually plug it in at home before the gig. Ah well, I had a few other guitars on the stand that night, so it was more on an inconvenience than anything. I suspect there's a loose connection somewhere, but I'm not going to even bother tracking it down. I've already got a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbuckers that I'm planning to put in it as soon as the push-pull switching pots arrive from Stewmac.

I also recently bought this guitar's 10 year old cousin, another SE Custom 22, in gray. The finish on it's not quite as nice as this one, and I already have another gray guitar, so I'm considering listing the gray PRS on eBay before too long. (Although I might have a local buyer for it.)

My bandmate Mike keeps threatening to have an intervention to help me with my GAS problem. I don't really see it as a problem, but I am to the point where I choose which guitars to take to a gig based on what I'm wearing. I try to take the ones that are color coordinated with my outfit, lol. :rofl:

apparently they are valuable and you can make money on them, other than playing them..

I dunno about making money on them, but by buying used ones, I can be pretty sure of not losing anything if I decide to sell one later on. The "SE" line of PRS guitars are made in Korea, so they generally sell new for under $1000. Older used ones are typically in the $250 to $400 range. An American made PRS starts at about $1500 and goes dangerously close to five figures for a super nice one. Most of what you're buying for the extra money is fancier wood. These Korean ones play amazingly well, have great fit and finish, and are considered some of the best bang for the buck on the market these days. :thumb:

Talking about making money on guitars, one of my old Albuquerque buddies is Mikey Wright, who now works on The Voice TV show as a guitar tech and occasional extra player. His "retirement fund" is a collection of over 100 vintage collectable guitars, many of which are in the 5-figure range price-wise. Just guessing, I'd say his collection worth somewhere north of $500K. He has way more than he can fit at home, so he's got the bulk of them in a secure storage facility somewhere in Hollywood.

But, really wouldn't it be cheaper to buy clothes to match the guitar instead of the other way around, or is your goal to have a guitar to match every T-shirt you own?

Nice guitar..

You are way behind the power curve. There are over 2000 colors in the Pantone system. I think you have just scratched the surface. Yer gonna need a bigger boat!:D:thumb: