HF #11 - Spalted Hackberry

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Due to its shape, this has been dubbed "The Onion".

This piece is spalted hackberry, about 4 1/2" wide by 3 1/2" tall. The wood was very punky, so there is more tearout on the inside than I'd like, and it got a little thin in spots (as you can see in the last picture). Also, because of the varying softness of the wood and the amount of sanding needed to get the outside smooth, the surface isn't truly round. There are high and low spots that aren't real visible, but apparent to the touch. Finished with several coats of dewaxed shellac, re-sanded, then multiple coats of Antique Oil and buffed. Not one of my better pieces, but still OK, and a good learning experience nonetheless.

HF11 - 03 800.jpg HF11 - 01 800.jpg HF11 - 02 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome as always...

I think light is coming through on the third picture. Golden Mean shape or not, I like it. Hackberry can finish to a beautiful chatoyance. We'll blame the photography here as I'm sure yours have great chatoyance. ;)

I think light is coming through on the third picture. Golden Mean shape or not, I like it. Hackberry can finish to a beautiful chatoyance. We'll blame the photography here as I'm sure yours have great chatoyance. ;)
You're right about the light in the third pic. Just a leeeeetle too thin. :eek: And this piece of hackberry sure doesn't have any chatoyance that I was able to bring out. Heaven knows I tried, with all the steps I went through finishing this one. :)