There's Money in Those Scraps

Dave Richards

PHEwastecubewhite13_l.jpeg

Waste Coffee Cube in Scrapwood, Light for only $4735.

only if you can find the right clientele

If they can, why couldn't any of us? :dunno: On the other hand, from what I know those pieces are usually bought not by particulars but by shops to draw attention to their shopwindows, if eventually someone wants to buy them they sell it of course.

Well, all I can say is that the only thing I find attractive about that piece is the price. ;)

And I understand that ad copy is always, um, a bit flowery in language but seriously: "The Waste Coffeecube in Scrapwood is meticulously crafted in Piet Hein Eek's studio using traditional woodworking technique. "

ps: Dave, if you can find me commissions like this, we can go into business together! :thumb:

Art, I agree with you. Of course there's no accounting for taste.

It makes me wonder how much I could have gotten for the two boxes of scraps I gave to a friend so he could burn them in his fire pit last Friday night. I could have nailed them together with some used old nails from the Folgers can and sold them for a big pile of money.

If I found a market for that kind of thing, I think we could set up the "Family Woodworking Furniture Factory" and we'd all make a fortune. We could all send Larry our scraps which he'll bang together and sell and we;ll split the proceeds even Steven. Well....I'd get a small percentage as a finder's fee, too. :D

I just LOVE this stuff.

That piece of crap will sell.

Heck - I would even let someome "dicker' with me to get the price down to 4250 - and give them a BARGAIN.

WHY cannot "I" think of that.

Oh - I did - it's on my someday list - different project.

I LOVE this stuff - because there is a market out there somewhere for these things.

It helps me to think outside of the box - and stop thinking so small.

WHY - oh WHY - should we think in terms of twice the material cost plus $10 labor for something worth $5,000

Why do we sell a beautifully crafted dresser to the lady down the street for $200 - when we KNOW it sells at IKEA for $2,000 - and what we made is worth $4,000
Ohhh --- we DO do that don't we.

I am pretty sure those days are OVER for me.

My prices double every time I read a post like this

THANK YOU for posting.

BTW - the only reason I would not burn that in my stove is because of the paint - but they the creator probably had the same problem.