Learned a new trick today

Tony our helper in the shop showed us a trick he learned in his home country. I thought he would be using the tub sander but know he went and got all wood worker on us.
The cash register drawer needed a new change bins some so we needed to make the swoop.

While in NY I saw this ! Original register , very early electric and manual 1901 with the original base and all the drawers work perfect. I can get it cheep , it's worth a bunch.

Last edited:
Its a wonder he has all his fingers. I've done that cut, and even taught it, but the piece was much longer. I would not do that without a second fence to trap the piece. The inertia of the blade will want to kick the piece forward. And I would make a special hold down push stick to move the wood past the blade.

Huge caveat here for the uninitiated. Take very shallow cuts and multiple passes. Raising the blade even an eighth of an inch at a time is really removing a lot of wood, especially when reaching the final depths. Second caveat. Short pieces are dangerous!

Well, that gave me the eebie geebies this morning.

Well, he got the job done but I agree with Carol. That's a risky way to make the cut. Trapping with a second guide and very small bites is the way to go

Now that I think of it ya Carol I will make a note of that. He did use small cuts at a time and many passes. The picture is not the actual cutting pic. He's just holding it for me to get a pic. Tony is highly conscious of safety. Hope this relieves your eebie geebies Carol.

I used that technique on this box. I did the cutting of the sides after the box was assembled, but I used a pair of guide fences and very light cuts. Plus, being a box, I was able to keep my hands far away from the blade. (The lid was made out of a single longer piece that I used the same cove-cutting technique on.)

OrientalBox10-800.jpg

Coving on the tablesaw can be a solution for a few items and it sure fit the bill on this one . . . did you see what I did there? Cash register . . . fit the bill . . . I'm pathetic.

CoD Cove Jig (9).jpg . CoD Cove Jig (10).jpg . C0D Pegs (5).jpg

Last edited: