HF #12 - Spalted Maple

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This one is the "World Map".

It's spalted maple, about 5 3/4" wide by 3 1/2" tall. If you squint just right, the spalting looks like an old map of the world (although for some reason it reminds LOML of cartoons). Finished with Antique Oil and buffed.

I have a hard time picking one or two favorite shots, so you'll have to pick from the whole bunch. Let me know which ones are your favorites. ;)

HF12 - 01 800.jpg HF12 - 06 800.jpg HF12 - 02 800.jpg HF12 - 08 800.jpg HF12 - 04 800.jpg HF12 - 10 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are always welcome...

Vaughn, you are getting good at this stuff, maybe time to upgrade to a new lathe..... :rolleyes: :D

Love the look of that wood, and you sure gave it a nice shape to show it off! :thumb:

... maybe time to upgrade to a new lathe..... :rolleyes: :D
Boy, would I sure love to upgrade. I was thinking it might be doable due to tax refunds, but we had some other things take priority this time around. I just need to find a good sales outlet for these, so I can let my turning pay for a new lathe. :rolleyes: I've just gotta find a market where people will pay what I want to charge. ;)

I hear you on the "Market Place" thing, still trying to figure that one out myself.

I'll start with the L shop, and such, but I'd sure like to find somewhere else, maybe Yahoo auction here will be good?

Good luck!

Hi Vaughn,
Your turnings are very lovely. Are you like Michealangelo, just carving away the wood that is not the bowl you see in the wood or are you just whacking at it till it is a beautiful something? :)
Shaz

I have to agree picture two and three are the best.
As far as a market if you find one let me know because i'm looking for one to offset the tool purchases.No one wants to pay what they are worth and to give them away to strangers doesn't sit well with me either.
Great job again Vaughan.
Ken:thumb:

Hi Vaughn,
Your turnings are very lovely. Are you like Michealangelo, just carving away the wood that is not the bowl you see in the wood or are you just whacking at it till it is a beautiful something? :)
Shaz
Thanks for the compliment, Shaz. As far as my approach...it's a little of both. I'll start with a general idea of what I want, based on the shape of the original blank, but often the details are still a bit fuzzy until I get closer to the end. I like the surprise element. Some of the best details have been surprises. ;)