Special Glue up question fellas

Ninh Shepherd

So I have managed to score a hole 4'x8' sheet of 1/8in thick UHMW and in doing so I would like to use this for
My out feed/workbench...

( noted, that I am aware that you don't want a work bench to be "slick" but in my case I don't mind because I have a plane stop and hopefully I will get some hold fast soon!!)

My question is what type of glue can/should I use to glue this uhmw sheet to an mdf top!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532051.135228.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532075.737994.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532092.468672.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532115.773267.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532143.036167.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532163.503061.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412532186.740563.jpg

Here's a video of how the work bench was made. And also free plans to make it!! Hole things made with 2sheetes of 3/4 ply and one sheet of 3/4 mdf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yuHeKnhWs

~Ninja~

I know there are some glues for UHMW (from the days when I had a day job) but they are very specialized industrial glues. Quite expensive as well, the one we used was a 2 tube thing (kinda like those epoxy tubes) but it had a built in "static mixer" than the 2 parts went through and were mixed; 3M made it as I recall. I think I would consider some kind of mechanical fastening, like countersunk flat head screws....I think you could do that in 1/8' material. There may be a double coated tape that will work, I'm just not aware of which one that would be. But that UHMW tape that's available has some kind of coating on it that sticks to the stuff.

Yes I agree UHMW is by far one of the hardest materials to get something to "stick" to. As to the design and idea behind it is to NOT stick.
Haha but I would like to not have metal fasteners because I like the look of the all white top. And I use that whit top to jot down Notes
Story sticks
Reference measurements along the edge.
Quick sketch plans
And anything you can think of.
But if my only solution is the high end stuff. I believe I will pass on that and just go with the fasteners. Only down side is because I consider myself as a "Hypbrid Woodworker"(due to the great guys here pushing me to indulge in the art and I got hooked)
I use a lot of hand tools when I can and I just don't want to slip up and snag a plane blade or freshly sharpened chisel right on to one of those screws lol.

~Ninja~

I would just screw it down. The shop next door to mine gets ¼ uhmw sheets as dunage sheets when they buy spendy 4x8's of bamboo. I've poached a couple out of their dumpster and started covering my out feed tables with it. Works awesome for that. Doesn't take much for fasteners, just something to keep it from sliding around.

Ninh, I just tried something that may work for you. A few months back I had bought a roll of Fastcap Speedtape, a double coated tape that's supposed to be a permanent bond after a certain amount of time. Anyway, this stuff is really sticky and I tried it on 2 different pieces of UHMW I had in the shop (one was the surface of my table saw fence, the other a piece of scrap I had laying around). It sticks to the UHMW really well and may do what you want with your thin material. As tape goes, it's not cheap...but it works. If you want to see a small piece to try for yourself, I might be able to figure out how to mail you a piece (not sure how I would roll it up to keep it from sticking to everything).

Last edited:
fred i have heard that the fast cap tape is very good and thought of it before but jim delaney is the one that used it and told me about its good points so i didnt say anything becasue i havnt used it.. its really thin to ninh

fred i have heard that the fast cap tape is very good and thought of it before but jim delaney is the one that used it and told me about its good points so i didnt say anything becasue i havnt used it.. its really thin to ninh

I've not used it on UHMW, but so far, it's stuck to everything I've tried it on. Very good for edge banding. Very good for PERMANENT installations. Definitely NOT for anything you want to disassemble later, without damage. Naphtha will soften the bond, though.

It's very thin - about 0.003" thick. I've only used the 1" width, but they now make it in 3", 6" and (I think) 12" widths, too.