What are you making for Xmas this year

Rob Keeble

Well with Don reminding us that its not that far away and our Thanksgiving coming up doing the same, I have been giving thought to what i might make this year for gifts.

Got such a great response to the bandsaw reindeer last year and so many requests for more and a sleigh to go with them. But i don't do production very well. I like variety making a thing once is enough for me.

But i think i will make a sleigh this year to go with the reindeer. Will try to find a small father Xmas to fit into it and scale it from that. If any one has plans or a drawing they willing to share i would be only to happy to consider them.

So what are you all making for Xmas presents this year?

This will be the first year in quite a while that I won't be making anything. The old shop in the garage is already dismantled to make way for the new bathroom and the new shop is nowhere near complete and not likely to be done before Christmas.

I had a entire group of pen kits and bottle stopper kits (to give with wine to the wine people we know), but I decided aint gonna happen this year.
Its oct, already, I have a few projects Im getting finished up and wont be free till mid November, and then I have the reindeer to make for the kids at school, so Ill take a break this year.

Will you have your shop set up in NM by the end of the year?

It's doubtful. I've got to add a subpanel and a long run of copper to the garage before I can run the lathe or air compressor. (The tablesaw and bandsaw are set up for 240v now, but they could be switched back to 120v if I really had to.) I also need outlets and lighting, and would like to build an outbuilding for the compressor and DC. I'd also like to upgrade the main panel on the house while I've got the electrician there. I suspect there will be other priorities after we first move in, so the shop will likely have to wait.

And to be perfectly honest, I won't be sure if I'm going to wire the garage/shop until my wife actually sees the house. (I know, I'm a brave man. Buying a house that my wife has only seen in pictures.) If she decides she hates the place, then we'll just be doing whatever improvements are needed to flip the house and move on to the next one. (We're buying a bank-owned fixer-upper that stands to make us a nice chunk of money after some fixing and cleaning.) It won't make much sense to spend a couple thousand bucks adding power to the shop if we're not going to be in this house for at least a few years.

Pretty certain this won't be the last house we buy, but if we do it right, the next one will have really low mortgage payments. ;)

The good memories I'm hoping to make for Christmas are my wife's...this will be her first Christmas as a New Mexican. Being a SoCal girl all her life, it's going to be quite a transition for her. (She doesn't really embrace change very well, but all of my family and friends here are ready to welcome her with open arms.)

Probably another motorcycle rocker for the grandson this time. Other than that, will probably have amazon deliver for me. ;)

It's doubtful. I've got to add a subpanel and a long run of copper to the garage before I can run the lathe or air compressor. (The tablesaw and bandsaw are set up for 240v now, but they could be switched back to 120v if I really had to.) I also need outlets and lighting, and would like to build an outbuilding for the compressor and DC. I'd also like to upgrade the main panel on the house while I've got the electrician there. I suspect there will be other priorities after we first move in, so the shop will likely have to wait.

And to be perfectly honest, I won't be sure if I'm going to wire the garage/shop until my wife actually sees the house. (I know, I'm a brave man. Buying a house that my wife has only seen in pictures.) If she decides she hates the place, then we'll just be doing whatever improvements are needed to flip the house and move on to the next one. (We're buying a bank-owned fixer-upper that stands to make us a nice chunk of money after some fixing and cleaning.) It won't make much sense to spend a couple thousand bucks adding power to the shop if we're not going to be in this house for at least a few years.

Pretty certain this won't be the last house we buy, but if we do it right, the next one will have really low mortgage payments. ;)

The good memories I'm hoping to make for Christmas are my wife's...this will be her first Christmas as a New Mexican. Being a SoCal girl all her life, it's going to be quite a transition for her. (She doesn't really embrace change very well.)

Congrats on the house!

Ted, neat idea.

I would have to learn how to turn a bowl first to copy your idea.

So if I can get my carving skills up to snuff, I planning on carving an angel for the MIL, a cat/kitten for the Wife and something Army related for my FIL, who served 32 years in the Army (WWII and Vietnam vet).

Hey guys, the verb that Rob used was "making" not "cooking", and he mentioned also "for presents" or is it that you read the post being hungry? :rofl:

Jokes apart, long time ago I decided not to make things for presents, asneither the looks nor the amount of care and time devoted to making them many times was not appreciated by the receiver.

The good memories I'm hoping to make for Christmas are my wife's...this will be her first Christmas as a New Mexican. Being a SoCal girl all her life, it's going to be quite a transition for her. (She doesn't really embrace change very well, but all of my family and friends here are ready to welcome her with open arms.)

WOW you are brave.:eek: Glad to here you will have a shop again...and more importantly in the same stat as the wife! :thumb: BTW...the way your going you may need to build a outbuilding to hold your guitars! :D