Need some epoxy recommendations

Tom Baugues

This is not woodworking related thus the off topic section however I know you all are a pretty smart group.
My father has this electric power washer. He said it leaks bad so I said I would take a look at it and as I suspected a plastic hose fitting inside it is split and when under pressure it sprays water all over the inside of the machine. It does not appear to be a split from water freezing inside the pipe while stored for the winter. Instead it looks like it is coming right out of the seam of the pipe from when they molded the plastic pipe.. I figured I could simply epoxy that seam shut and all would be good. So last night I mixed up some "JB-Weld" and spread over the seam. Today I put it all back together and when water was applied from the house hose it held water just fine but as soon as I turned on the unit and the water pressure increased to 1600 psi (as is stamped on the side plate) it blew out like a cannon. (yes I got soaked...stop laughing).

So my question is....what kind of sealant (epoxy or otherwise) will hold up to that kind of pressure? I assumed that this epoxy would be so rock hard and the split is so fine that I would be good to go but obviously I underestimated the amount of pressure generated when the motor is turned on.
I'm just trying to save my father a few dollars from having to spend money on parts.....but it may come to that if I cant seal this up.

Attachments

• hose copy.jpg
    hose copy.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 33
I'm not sure any kind of epoxy or fiberglas would hold under the pressure. Is there any way to replace the plastic pipe, I would think that would be the best option.

Maybe a picture of the offending pipe would help.

Marine TEX - will do that job.

It's a 2 part putty type of epoxy that hold up under pressure as well as in the wet environment.

Scuff it up really good with coarse sandpaper - 40 or 60 grit.

Clean it with denatured alcohol and dry it really well with an air blow.

DO NOT touch is with your fingers after cleaning.

Mix the epoxy putty and press it really hard into the nooks and crannies.

DO NOT be cheap on the epoxy - - totally encase the leaking area.

Well, that is probably not plastic, but some other plastic looking stuff that I can't think of the name of right now. Anyway, to my knowledge and experience, epoxy will not do it. The only way to be comfortable that it will not give away again in the near future is to replace it. Looks replaceable. you already have is out. But I'm sure patching is not a good option, epically at 1600 psi. That would be my opinion anyway, but I am not a power washer repair person. Might look online like ereplacementparts.com. May not be hard to find, but them again.....

I see while I was typing Leo replied with a different opinion... I can't argue with him. Might be worth a try, if it blows again you know where to stand and not get wet this time!:rofl: But at least it can be tested outside so no harm done.

Last edited:
my vote is to call supplier and show them the faulty part and see if they will replace it.. that seam shouldnt open up like that tom.. be nice and maybe they will send a free one:)

If you want to try epoxy again, I would scuff up the inside, and put a thin layer on the inside of the pipe. The very high pressure would push the epoxy onto the pipe instead of pushing the epoxy off the surface of the pipe.

Of course, my first recommendation is to replace the part, whether you have to buy it or can get the supplier to provide it "under warranty."