I'll Bet They Don't See This in Hoboken

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Only in Albuquerque during the first week of October...

1383074_10152488440408386_588616813344801290_n.jpg

Not my photo, but a fairly common morning scene around here this week. :D

if anyone woke up in Hoboken and saw that, they d probably curse along saying, great, what is this junk? why cant they keep those things in albequekee, yeah, however you spell it.

Never seen so many school buses in use as they have here for transporting tourists. An amazing display. Sister and friend took
A ride up and loved the view and experience.
Looks like a patch work quilt when they all get up.
David

I thought one ran into a building at first...we have a balloon festival just south of here too, but not near as big. Plus we have wide open field they take off in...that pic looks like its the local mall. :huh::p

I thought one ran into a building at first...we have a balloon festival just south of here too, but not near as big. Plus we have wide open field they take off in...that pic looks like its the local mall. :huh::p

We have a 360 acre balloon field that they take off from, but they can end up landing just about anywhere in town. They do try to avoid places with lots of trees or buildings, but sometimes they don't have a lot of choice. The pic I posted above is just a bunch landing in the same area...looks like one of the industrial parks near the balloon field.

Here's an aerial shot of the balloon park. this looks like it was taken midway through a mass ascension. Since the field can't hold all 750 or so balloons at once, they inflate and launch them in waves. In this pic, it looks like they are halfway through the first wave. The remainder of the first wave is inflated and ready to launch, and the next wave is laying out their balloons and getting ready to inflate.

balloon-park.jpg

This time-lapse video was shot last year, but it's one of the best I've seen. it does a good job of showing how the wind directions change as the balloons move to different elevations. That "box wind" is one of the reasons Albuquerque is popular for ballooning.

http://youtu.be/l8YaMK4-MYg

Going for a ride in one of these is on my bucket list. My brother and I saw one go overhead, fairly low, near his home in West Chester earlier this year. We got in the car and tried to chase it, but the area is heavily wooded, and we lost it. It was fun to see.