Medical question.... Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

John Pollman

Hi folks,

I've got a question for you. I've been miserable for a couple of weeks with a very sore wrist. It almost feels like I fell and landed on it and jammed it or something like that but I really haven't. If I put any pressure on it the wrong way it hurts like heck. For the past week at least it's been pretty bad and I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. A little while ago while making dinner I was complaining about it and out of the blue my ten year old son says "Dad, maybe you've got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome". Well I've got to tell you that it just about floored me! I don't know where the heck he came up with that or how a ten year old would know that but I think he just may be right. It's my right wrist and I'm left handed. But in this right-hand leaning world I've gotten used to using nothing but my right hand to control the mouse when I'm using the computer. Sometimes after a while it does get pretty sore even when I haven't been on the computer for long. But it may be just a lot of short term sessions.

Basically though I thought that C.T.S. gave you problems in the hand near the first knuckle. But maybe I'm wrong, can C.T.S. also give you wrist problems? I think I may have to talk to a doc if it doesn't get better soon but right now I'm going to take an Aleve because that seems to help a little.

Thanks for any input!

John

I have carpel tunnel in both hands. The symtoms I have is a numbness in my hands and sometimes a tingling feeling it is especialy noticable if my hands get cold. Sometimes I can't even grip a tool in the effected hand. There are exercises you can do to eleviate some of the symptoms one of which is to press the fingure tips of the effected hand against the palm of the other hand and this works temprarialy but I have been told that eventualy I'll have to get it taken care of. Maybe Dr. Chris Barton will pipe in and give us a real opinion.

Thanks Don.

Another thing that I just thought of is possibly tendonitis. I don't really have any numbness or pain in the fingers at all. All of the pain is basically in the wrist. I just took an Aleve and I'll see if that helps at all.

I appreciate the input!

John

John,

Go over to webmd.com and search around on wrist pain/ problems. You can find some good info there - but it doesn't change the need to see a Dr. if things persist.

Hope things get better soon,
Wes

Thanks Wes.

I never thought about that. I see the commercial all the time and I just never even considered it.

What would I do without the internet? Well for one thing, my wrist probably wouldn't hurt from spending so much time on the keyboard and mouse. But then I wouldn't need webMD.

Kind of a conundrum eh? ;)

John

John,
CTS usually causes numbness and tingling in the thumb, index, middle and thumb side of the ring finger. It can cause pain, but wrist pain alone without the numbness and tingling is not likely from CTS. If CTS is present, bending your wrist forward about 90 degrees will often but not always start up the numbness and tingling within a minute.

If the aleve and rest don't help, you really ought to see your family doc.

Good luck,
Ken