truck rant!!!

larry merlau

well the old truck died some time back and so we had to get replacement..well i had a ford explorer sometime back that had shifter troubles the linkage would pop off the ball socket,, when ever it felt like it not good some wire and more practice made the thing stay on better but never had trouble with old chevy but tonight was headed to a hunting stand and one little stick poped up and knocked of the linkage on my 98 chevy truck so here i am going up hill and in neutral all of a sudden.. luckly i was able to get i eased back to flat ground and found the trouble another darn ball socket that doesnt stay on!!!! not sure how to fix it permanent but i didnt have a good night.. no deer and a weak linkage on the truck why cant they put a real bolt threw a hole and put a lock nut on it instead of a silly ball socket?????

Ball & socket type shift assembly...The socket is located on the cable and the ball section is on the shifter linkage.
Either the socket is damaged or the ball is worn out...Should make a 'snap or click' if both ends are good. Not cheap, but better to replace the whole package at once than to try and guess which is the worse culprit.

Take with a grain of salt....
Not a mechanic or a Chevy fan, but Dad was a little of both...& he had BTDT. :wave:
Can't recall any tricks that held up :(

in this case i say its the ball on the shifter arm ken,, just seems to me they could have a better way to hook them up than the ball and socket idea.. we are fine bill thanks for the sympathy.. glen fetich and a seagrms wild cherry took all the bad away:)

I'm with you on the old truck blues. I just had to have wires in my steering column repaired. Second time in a year the headlights on my '99 Dodge quit working. The wires and connections just wear out from flexing when the tilt is used. Mechanic said the plastic inside the column is just disintegrating from age and use. I'll try to find a complete harness from a junk yard to keep things going a while longer. Yes, Larry, we need to get resourceful to keep the old iron mules running. Good luck.

what would they call tht part? i thought it should be shift linkage but that doesnt show up there.. also does rock parts have atv parts too? i need a carb for a susuki atv..