Milwaukee 12v li ion battery question

Rob Keeble

I am looking at purchasing a battery pack for my Milwaukee 12 drill and driver set.

I have this set except the drill is hammer version
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/factory...?xsell=milwaukee-reconditioned-power-tools--2

Battery i am looking to buy is this one
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwauk...=milwaukee-batteries&prefn1=series&prefv1=M12

Problem i am having is local borgs dont have this battery out to be able to try it on the tools.

Wondering if any of you have this battery and use it on a Milwaukee 12 drill and can tell me how it feels regarding balance and interference with hands.

This whole battery drill (razor , razor blade thing drives me crazy). If you see the deal above you can get recon drill and driver with charger and two batteries for just tad more than these batteries. So now i am on the fence but i want longer run time and have more than two M12 power tools.

I bought these tools because of size now i dont want to go making them awkward to handle again so hence the hesitation, thought i would canvas some views here.

Any thoughts welcome thanks.

I've got the same two M12 tools, and like you, I really like the size (especially when carrying the drill in a tool belt). That said, I think the bigger 3 Ah batteries would be nice in the shop. For one, they provide a nice base to set the tool down on. They also double the run time. As far as weight it concerned, I suspect they are surprisingly light, since they are LiIon batteries in the first place.

I haven't used them (3A batteries) but always wanted some, that price you linked was so good I went ahead and ordered a pair. So I can't answer the hand cramp part of your question (yet), but I know I have an 18V Bosch LioN drill and it's co light it presents no problem in handling it. I'm looking forward to getting those batteries.

Sorry Fred did not intend you get to open your wallet. :)

I am going to do the same just got to plan my schedule to pick up the parcel , i ship to Niagara saves me a bunch. But i got to stack up my orders like flights coming into land at an airport and have them all land close to each other for one scoop up trip.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OK, Rob. My batteries arrived this morning...so here's a hands on opinion: The batteries weight almost twice what the smaller ones do (400 grams versus 178 or so). My M12 tools are a regular drill, and some drivers. The balance didn't seem different on the drivers (basically a drill with no chuck) but on the drill it did feel different, though it wasn't bad; just different. As for the hand room, my hands are smallish so i figured it would not be a problem. But there is a full 1 1/2" of clearance between the bottom of my hand and the top of the battery case. Picture the bottom of the packs you have now, that is where the top of the new packs start. So unless your hand extends past the bttom of the current ones, the new ones won't be a problem. Hope this is of use...

Last edited:
Wow, That's cool. I've got that same set of of driver and drill and love them. I havent' had much trouble with the batter capacity, but when I need them, I'll definitely go with these extended run versions.

What a difference

Well just got back from picking up some shopping in Niagara and these came along too. :D

What a difference.

Here some pics for those of you who wish to see scale which is what i was worried about but now no worries thanks to input from here.

batteries next to drill.JPG12v vacuum pack.JPGdrill with new battery installed.JPG

One note to be aware of here. This pack is prices at CPO for US $79 for the pack of two. Thats a real good deal for me for my needs. This is a Redlithium XC version.

But if you really want longer life you may want to get the same battery but version XC4.0 and my guess is that will not be at the same price. Probably has something to do with why these are being sold at the price they are.

Here is what i would have had to pay for this pack at our home depot $142.00 CDN kinda kills it when you consider for $199 CDN i originally got the drill, driver, angle drill, battery charger two small batteries and bag and that was at the same Home depot. Go figure.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/m12-xc-high-capacity-redlithium-battery-two-pack/838646

I have found in this drill of mine (if you note its the hammer version) that the drill battles sometimes to get going when the battery is dropping below two dots on the indicator.

Vaughn made such a good point about it now being able to stand on the battery. :thumb: