Need some help with this design

Tom Baugues

I want to build a plant stand very similar to the photo below, however I'm having a very hard time figuring up the dimensions necessary to achieve it. The overall height will be 40" tall. The top will be 12" x 12". I was thinking the legs would be 1-1/2" square, set in from the top about 1 inch that should leave 7" between the legs.
So given those dimensions...what size does that make the center vertical slates if they are equal to the spaces between them?
So I want equal space between the slates to be the same width as the slates. (does that make sense)?

4.jpg

Last edited:
Would you like I should draw it for you? How thick do you want to make the top? Are you going to add the drawer?

To be honest, I don't think the slats and the spaces should be the same size but that is up to you.

With 3 slats and four spaces, that's 7 increments. So, with a 7" space between the legs, it's easy. Make the slats 1" wide, and space them 1" apart.

Actually, I was a little curious so I started it. I think the legs look a bit heavy for as narrow at the piece is. What do you think?

I'd sort the legs out before trying to work out the space in between.

Dave you may very well be correct about the leg size. I was just guessing at that size. I have tried to draw this out tonight on paper but just don't have the skill to do it correct. I like the look of the photo and want to make mine pretty close to that. Yes I would like to add the drawer. I was thinking of even trying my hand at dovetail corners on the drawer. Dave if you have the time to draw it up that would be very much appreciated.

I'll at least make something that looks close. I agree with Glenn about the height. Could you go a bit bigger? Or shorter?

Last edited:
Take a look at this and see what you think.

Height reduced to 36 in. Legs are 1-1/4 in. square. Slats are 1/4 in. thick by 1 in. wide on 1-7/8 in. centers. Top aprons are 4 in. high. Stretchers are 2 in. high with a 1 in. high arc.

Wow Dave that was fast!. Looks pretty close to what I want. The only thing that keeps drawing my eye is the bottom stretcher. It's 2". Can that be taller? Or would that not look right?

EDIT. Actually the more I look at it is fine the way it is.

There's a plugin that will generate the cut sheet with dimensions. In a few seconds I can tell you that without allowing for waste, you need just under 3.98 board feet.

Do you use SketchUp at all?

Yes. The plugin will work in the free version. It does need to be installed after you get SketchUp up and running, though. You'll be able to download and auto-install it via the Extension Warehouse under the window menu.