Need some help with this design

Well, I did rough it out last night, Leo. I just finished the drawer and added the joinery this morning. In between I got about 4 hours of sleep. :rolleyes:

I hate HP printers. Actually I hate their software. The hardware usually seems to be alright but the software to run it is crap.

dave strikes again:),, tom dave has a dvd that will be a great aid in learning the sketchup program,, well thought out and he does answer questions well too:) sometimes he does house calls:)

Well he sure has been a big help on this for sure. No way I would have been able to work out all the joinery in my head before I started. This is very detailed and will be a huge help. Now the only thing holding me back is my own woodworking skill level. I'm going to give this a real effort anyway.

Holy Cow! I downloaded SketchUP and the plugin....printed out the cut sheet and I'm ready to start cutting wood!

Dave thank you so much for your help and the time you spent on this for me. SketchUP is something I will definitely have to start spending more time with. That would make a good winter project when its too cold out in the shop.

Well, now I'll go take a look in my wood pile. I believe I still have some nice walnut that I got from Larry a few years ago that has been waiting on just the right project.

Dave, you are a generous soul!

From the design side, I think I also find the lower stretchers too curved.
Tom likes it, so that's fine for him. Personally, I'd try a 1/2" or 1/4" curve to compare. :thumb:

after giving it some thought, and guessing that it is an 8 inch length, i checked all arches against each other. from left to right we have 1 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch, and 1/4 inch. if it were me, i'd stick with the 2 inch height, and go with either the 3/4 or 1/2 inch arches.

Attachments

• arches.jpg
    arches.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 16
Art, Dan,
thank you for your input. When I started this I had two different designs in mind and each one had slightly different variations. I only showed Dave one of the designs because I think I liked it more than the other. It is possible that I may incorporate a mix of the two in my final project. One of the differences in the two is the shape of the bottom section. I'm actually anxious to get started on this project. I've not had a serious project for a long time and although this may seem like a simple project to some of the more seasoned woodworkers here it will still challenge my abilities. Using mortise and tenon joints (for example) is not something I have done a lot of. So getting them cut and fitted right is an unknown to me. I want to also try some simple dovetails on the drawer box. So...I'm looking forward to this project.

Thank you Art.

For what it's worth, here are my version of the variations for the stretcher curves. I think it's better to see them in context.

Tom, you can certainly leave the curve until later in the project since you'll want to cut the tenons on those pieces before the curve. You can dry fit the piece and have a look at it. Or make several plant stands and use a different curve on each. :D

This is why I love forums and especially this one. Look at all the help available and given. Thanks guys for stepping in so quickly and helping Tom. Tom please post progress pictures of your build if you can.

Thanks guys. I want to ask one more question here then I will start a new build thread. In looking through my wood pile this morning I found several boards suitable for this project. Since the top is 12 x 12 I will have to do a "glue up" for that. The legs are 1 1/4" and I don't have any stock here that thick. So is it acceptable to glue up for the legs as well or should I go source some thicker stock to make the legs out of a single solid piece?

glue up is fine tom but solid looks better sometimes,, if you ran 45degree cuts on the legs you could make them solid also..4 pieces glues up together.. if you have a close source to some thicker stock that would be the best choice..

Ok I found a slab of walnut that I had stashed that was actually thicker than I remembered it is 1 3/8" thick and already planned smooth on both sides so it will be just right by the time I get it cut and plane it to 1 1/4".

Paul, it's kind of a long and boring story as to why I'm building this/these and I want/need a solid wood top. This piece is going to serve a dual purpose. It will be a plant stand in my home but also used as a photography prop. :)

Last edited:
all walnut tom? going to be way cool. with my nephew's side table, i glued up the legs, and with some of them it was hard to find where the seam was. part of the benefits of cutting them from the same board.