Mortar-fied..

Chuck Ellis

I posted this over on another forum, thought would share with family and friends here was well.... We did our usual Farmer's Market yesterday... the day was beautiful, cool and mostly sunny... the crowd started slow as did the sales, but built as the day moved along... I made these mortar and pestles for this show thinking that the previous show the one I had sold within 15 minutes of the day starting... but seems like the product du jour yesterday was wine glasses, bowls and pepper mills.

These are made from 1. Cherry wood both mortar and pestle,
2. Red Oak mortar and white oak burl pestle,
3. White oak burl and white oak pestle.

I guess it just wasn't a mortar day... they all came home with me.
1. 31-1948_0.jpg
2. 31-1950_0.jpg
3. 31-1953_0.jpg

1 & 2 are about 6" diameter x about 2 1/2 - 3 inches high and the pestles are bout 6 or 7 inches long
3 is about 4" diameter by about 5" high with a 7 inch pestle.
All are finished with Dr. Woodshop's Wood Turner Finish.

Heck, if nothing else, they are pretty to look at.

I wonder what would happen if a person put some potpourri in a wooden mortar / pestle (without finish) and ground away. Would the wood absorb the fragrance? Would the fragrance last? Who really cares anyway? Time to shut-up!!!

Enjoy,
JimB

Scott has a good idea about displaying them with fresh herbs. Another option is showing them with peppercorns, celery seed or dill seed in one. I have an herb garden and like to use fresh chopped green herbs in recipes. I use my mortar and pestle (both marble) to break down dried herbs like rosemary, celery seed and peppercorns.

If I were picking one, it would be your third for its upright shape.