Paduak bangle

Ned Bulken

Today's the last day for banglebowl 2014; a fun contest dreamed up by Zac Higgins & Kyle Toth. Zac & Kyle are two new friends whom I met through Twitter. They got Marc Spagnuolo to host the contest on the Wood whisperer site. At last count there were nearly 40 entries in both turned and non-turned categories.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413982939.583269.jpg

I cut & glued up two rings of 8 segments each, which I then glued to a waste block.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413983565.568288.jpg I also glued up two others, one in walnut , another in cherry.

I used my face plate to hold the waste block, rounded the outside over & hogged out most of the interior. Following that, I parted it off from the waste block.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413983861.108755.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413983888.072296.jpg

I then reversed the ring on the scroll Chuck, and removed more material from the center . I used my bowl gouge, as well as my new scraper. The bangle is about 1/8 inch thick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413984133.837735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413984151.236274.jpg.

I need to sand it down a bit more, then I will put a couple of coats of rattle can lacquer on it, take photos of it and submit it to the contest. Thanks for looking!

Ned

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413982915.775136.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413982915.775136.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 41
I have made a number of these, but never thought of using a waste block - great idea. Key to strength is to be sure the joints are staggered in the multiple layers.

My biggest problem is the durability of the finish... they get dinged a lot on the wearer's arm (at least my wife's).

I have made a number of these, but never thought of using a waste block - great idea. Key to strength is to be sure the joints are staggered in the multiple layers.

My biggest problem is the durability of the finish... they get dinged a lot on the wearer's arm (at least my wife's).
Well, so far I've only done three, first two got simple paste wax... easily renewed. Third one got a couple of coats of Watco natural. Both are easily renewed. I got the hint for the waste block from various youtube how to videos. Particularly this one by Kyle Toth:

looks like another fun woodworking project. Thanks for posting the how it is done!
I would say 'quick' but it does take a day or two counting time for the glue ups to dry. Fun project though, and if you've made a turned box, it is very similar to hollowing out one of those! Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Ned that looks like a neat little project. Good job man.
Thanks Steve! I've had a bunch of fun making these for the contest (first one, this one plus a couple more in process.

Yet another project I need to give a try..looks great Ned!
You'll get addicted in a hurry Jeff, they're reallllllly simple to do, and don't take a lot of wood at all.

Looks great, Ned! Thanks for posting. :thumb:
Thanks Bill!

Oh, and here are the photos for the contest... pb main.jpgpb alt.jpgpaduak detail.jpgpb main2.jpg

Ted, easy enough! If you've turned a box , this very similar on the lathe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414096246.503300.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414096260.844450.jpg

Here's another I turned yesterday: cherry , just a smidge smaller . Watco natural on it. A bit thinner, rang like a bell when I was turning it.

Thanks Don! Having a ball out there!!

Ned