Another One - Raccoon

Paul Douglass

I finished up cutting this one yesterday. It got a little hairy and I had to make a couple minor repairs. Would have been a lot easier had I done the pattern in the intended size, but I shrunk it down to fit a 8.5 x 11 paper. I'm pretty pleased with it. Will be a little gift for my brother, pay him back for some of the things he has done for me this past year.

Raccoon 650 10 22 2014    2.jpg

Paul, when I tried doing that kind of project, it just seems the wood jumps all over the place on the scroll saw and ends up breaking off small chunks. You must have a super steady hand and technique. Rob

Paul
I would love to see you work these projects. I have the same problem Rob has to much bouncing and chatter of the work piece.
Very nice work.
David

Thanks to you all for the nice comments. As always very much appreciated

Rob and David there are many things that can cause the bouncing, i.e., wrong blade for what you are doing, not holding the wood firmly, blade tension of speed of cut. Experiment with these. I use Flying Dutchman blade from "Mike's Workshop". They work the best for me and he gives great service. His site has lots of info and he is great about answering questions. I have also gotten every question answered and learn a lot about scrolling from the forum "Scrollsaw Workshop Community" http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php

cant wait to see what you come up with on intarsia paul after seeing how well you do in the scroll work!!! well done!

I swear, Larry, a couple more scroll saw projects and them I am going to give a try on the intarsia. Intarsia shows up mistakes much more than scrolling. Only me and maybe the pattern maker if he/she looks close enough would know the mistakes in scrolling. :rolleyes:

Paul looking at your racoon again, is the black a backer sheet you have stuck on after. How on earth do you keep those whiskers on the right in place?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Paul looking at your racoon again, is the black a backer sheet you have stuck on after. How on earth do you keep those whiskers on the right in place?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Actually the picture is not mounted yet. It is sitting on flat black poster board. Also, the whiskers are okay, it is the eyes that are very fragile. I have to put a finish on the raccoon yet. Glue it to the black poster board and them mount it in a frame. Because this is a fragile on I may put glass over it.