re keying a dead bolt lock.

If it is a name brand lock, kits are available to re-pin the cylinder. For the fuss the few times I did it (not difficult, I just have other things to do ;-), I now just look for an outfit that will give free keys with a re-key or some other incentive and let them do it. The online locksmith dispatch service we tried once was a terrible experience. Apparently the site is subscribed to by locksmith wanna-bees. The guy we got mutilated the front door set. After a lot of pain we got the functional parts replaced but, never did get them to pay for the trim plate he destroyed.

If they are kwikset or schlage bring them to Lowes and they will do it for free. They are only do it yourself if they are a newer style (can't remember the model numbers). When I was a working at Lowes I rekeyed hundreds of them.
You do need a few special tools.

What Bob said. My daughter works at Lowe's and she re-keys locks often. However, not all the employees know how to do it and you might sometimes have trouble finding a re-key person on duty. Just spoke with my daughter and she said the quicksets are self re keying and you can do it at home.

Last edited: