Knee pain possible solution for u.

Rob Keeble

Seeing Sayers post re Allens tribulations with knee pain, reminded me i have not shared a solution i have found.
First let me say my knees have several places where there is zero cartilage (meniscus) to cushion the joint.
Arthritis is in there big time.
A few months back i was down to barely being able to go from house to garage to take garbage out. For me this was becoming a real scare. (Long story not relevant).
I resigned myself to having the replacements and booked to see the surgeon.
At same time i visited my doc again and bitched like crazy told him i was dissapointed in the medical frat and also that I had days where a couple of tylenol had worked, days where i took a blue allieve gell cap and it helped but nothing conclusive or consistent that permitted me to be able to function normally. Including diet change etc. I was also very pissed off at both him and the two surgeons i had been to. Had tried to have a discussion about the facts of a book i had purchased written by a orthopedic surgeon, but they just discounted the book out of hand as money maker.
My quack then said try this drug and see what it does.
I asked what the ingredients were. He said well its a higher dose of the same thing in Allieve but with a stomach protector. Go figure the OTC version has no protection simply because the dose is lower but nothing stops you upping the number of caps.

Anyhow quack prescribes one tab twice a day.
For me i first took only one in morning and as pharmacist said 15 min before breakfast but must have breakfast with it.
The results have been beyond amazing. So much so i managed to spend 6 hours in the shop yesterday.
Given the relief (no pain killer just anti inflamatory) from a single tab a day, few weeks back i joined the gym thinking i would strengthen my knee muscles in anticipation of op and have been able to do things in the gym i could not believe. Walking at a brisk pace for min 20 min with min pain. What i have discovered is the more i move, the better its getting.
I am over being annoyed with the doc that it took more than 1 year to get to the point where he thought about this drug.
The name of the drug is Vimovo its 500mg Naproxen and 20mg Esomeprazole Mag.
I only take one in the morning and it does me all day.
Changed my life, i hate with undescribable passion taking any meds but this has been worth it.
Allen ask your doc if u can try it given your condition.
My quack could not believe he or the other surgeons had not suggested it long ago. I said all they wanted to do is operate. Now given the wait period we have i am considering living without the op for the moment.
The negative side if find to medicine in our parts is you have to just about become a doctor to get the right attention but thats another story on its own.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Im currentlyl taking another anti-imflammatory, but the doc doesn't want me on then daily.
Im half healed Id guess since last week, ok enough to try to go out and turn an hour or so, but ofcourse, being my infusion week, I was a little bit shaky before and decided not a good idea to even work on a pen while under the influence of a heavy dose of antihistamines.

My doctor felt Im a good candidate for I believe its called orthovisc? its a jel injected into the meniscus area once a week for 3 weeks.
It helps lubricate the joint better. Not guaranteed, but he feels it will work for me.
Just waiting on insurance company approval this week.

Im falling into a place I don't want to be here, or in real time.
I get together with my friends a lot and we spend the evening talking about our aches and pains and old age.
I don't want to be that person here.
IM sorry for bringing up my knee amongst all the stuff Im guilty of here, it just encompasses my entire life when all I want to do is woodwork, but Im forced to sit and watch television or read something.

Hey Allen dont feel that way. We all in this together and way i see it what we find out/ do may just help someone else suffering with the same issue. I posted specifically thinking what i experienced may help u. Btw that gel stuff my docs said your body metanolises it and it dont last. Now i dont know if thats just a put off based on our system where docs seem to look to do minimal or if its true. Thats my beef here is now i have to study to be a doc at age 56 just to fight to get what i need in treatment.

its not a cure, its relief for approx. 6 months.
If it relieves my pain, Id be more than happy to get the shots every 6 months, my doctor says with the patients it works well with it lasts up to one year.

Rob, my wife had a total knee replacement about 4 years ago. Long story short she still has lots of pain. Recently the doctor told her she has a bursa (??) and gave he a prescription for 500mg naproxen with something in it for her stomach. It worked for her but still upset her stomach. I tried it to where I'd take 2 pills twice a day and it doesn'r even touch my back pain.
I'm so glad it works for you !!

Allen, My wife had the same injections in her knee. Hers was called synvisc. She had injections 3 times in about a months time and 3 more times about a year later. It works for awhile but it's only meant to be a stop gap. Just putting off the inevitable. Surgery.

Me, I have another appointment with a different doctor next Monday. I'm nearing the end of my rope.

I read these threads and thank my lucky stars that age at 73, I'm still in relatively good shape... my knees are tired after a few hours at the lathe, and if I find myself bending over the lathe, my back will hurt for a while.... I do have a back ache in the lower back when I get up mornings, but suspect that may be because I should get up earlier... I also take a generic version of the Alleve every morning with my blood pressure medication and usually have relief for the day.... my poor wife on the other hand has much more pain in her back and can't take the Alleve because of the level of coumadin (blood thinner) she takes.... Alleve also is a blood thinner. She needs the blood thinner because of her stroke this past March and the TIA's she was having a few years back.

My biggest issue right now is breathing... I find myself gasping/more like forcing myself to breath/ every so often.... just saw a doctor yesterday to take a breathing test to check for asthma, but my blood pressure was too high for them to do the tests... so we had to reschedule for 4 weeks down the road... guess can't be all that serious if he thinks I can wait 4 weeks.

Even with all this, the heart is still strong and I think I'm reasonably healthy.

while woodworking is therapy for me, a hobby, Im not concerned with being able to woodwork. .

The day i cannot tinker with wood and my tools is the day i want a box. This is what has been of greater concern to me than anything. I dont churn out anything near what you have but if my health results in me not being able to do anything with my hands then i will go off my rocker.

I've been taking Aleve for at least a year and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. I take two in the morning before breakfast and I'm good to go all day. As a matter of fact I sometimes forget to take them on the weekends and my joints start to hurt come Sunday.

All it is is Naproxin in the same dose prescribed by my doctor but far cheaper and no prescription needed.

The day i cannot tinker with wood and my tools is the day i want a box. This is what has been of greater concern to me than anything. I dont churn out anything near what you have but if my health results in me not being able to do anything with my hands then i will go off my rocker.

Ive already told my wife if she loved me she would watch the move old yeller.

eh, its my own fault. years of excessive weight and poor eating habits have finally caught up to me.
I was warned, and warned, and warned.
Im not concerned bout any work, just feeling good enough to go on my walks along the ocean and being able to walk and do the everyday normal stuff in life without having pain. Woodworking will come second, my tools aren't going anywhere.
I turned a bottle stopper today, when I came in, the pain was intense, like I set myself back a week.

morbid stuff, while sitting here today on the computer, out of some morbid curiosity, since Ive been obsessed with death for years, I went on to one of the zillions of sites that predict your death date. Its just for fun.(in a sick kinda way, figuring, they sites will give you 30 more years to make you feel good)
I punched in all the info, dob, weight, height, habits, etc.........and I got great news.
I was supposed to die on June 6, 2009, so Im way ahead of the game!

my gel is in, Im getting my shot in the morning, not a second too soon as far as Im concerned.

on an odd note, well, not too odd for me, last time we all got together, the cousins and i were sitting around yakking away, mostly about this and that, with a fairish amount of the latest aches, pains, operations and such, when i leaned over to one of my cousins and said, "when did we become the older relatives we swore would not happen?'. she just laughed.

Rob, no matter what kind of pill you take the problems will only be masked temporarily. Sounds like replacement is in your future. A good friend who is an ortho surgeon, specializing in knees and hips once let me shadow him for a day. His patients often ask "Doctory, when will I need my hip/knee replaced?". Doc always gave the same response, he said, "You will tell me". Good news is the procedures are excellent these days. In our retirement community it is common and results are invariably great.