Flatwork of a kind new Mini bench in the making.

Rob Keeble

Well with weather moving in fast, this had to be thrown together asap i am NOT going through winter without a workbench.

So i was looking at the Sjoberg bench that Lee valley has in stock, but really i cannot justify buying a bench for my needs, especially not when i can make one just as fast.

So with scraps and bits and pieces, a few dowels and some long 5/16 lag bolts i got stuck in yesterday and made some progress on my own version of this workbench.

Mine is going to be around 20 inch wide and about 36 inch long. 38 inch high but i plan on having two sets of legs so it can be modified to sit at if i choose.

Not yet sure about a vice.

Top is reclaimed ply from my very first workbench when i was orginally in the basement and used a full 4x8 sheet for my workbench.

Was going to cheap out and just leave prior edge which was pine and i had already cut the missing pieces for new cut sides but over night i decided it will all go and be hardwood to trim out the edges of the ply.

Will also add a third layer and make provision for a 3/16 masonite top that can be swapped out should i choose after abuse.

Here is the start. Sorry i was in beaver mode so only got some pics this morning when i took garbage out. Not the best but it gives you an idea.

The legs are pinned to the feet and cross section by two dowels and a single 6 inch lag bolt with washer . (its what was in the draws :D)

legs for new mini workbench4.jpgnew mini workbench6.jpg

Had to do a run last night to Lowes to get some 2x6 thats going to be the stretcher but still in two minds how to put it in. dont want it across the front but do want to be able to clamp to it. Also want a shelve but want to get my legs underneath a bit so there may be some differences to either side making it possible to flip around and use differently.

Want to get this done in between spare time i have this week (hopefully).

I am calling this flatwork but hey if mods feel its a jig or fixture feel free to move it where you like.

Well Roy, i aint going to use the Mi chocolate i got and no ways too to the cherry i have so home depot pine it had to be when one is in a hurry. :) lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob, i don't know if you read any of Christopher Schwartz' work in Popular Woodworking or on the Lost Arts Blog, but he's a proponent of building a bench out of decent Pine if you can find it. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My 'woodworking' bench is out of 2x material, so you know I'm fine with that practice.

Well Roy, i aint going to use the Mi chocolate i got and no ways too to the cherry i have so home depot pine it had to be when one is in a hurry. :) lol.

Going to look sweet so far Rob, an please don't take it serious about the Pine there got to wash my mouth out again :rofl: I'll do it with a single Malt scotch 12 year old tonight, please keep posting the pictures. Also are you keeping it flat or are you thinking about a tilt top like I did ?????

Quick update on the bench, its done but needs more work i discovered. Will do for winter but this really was a prototype in some ways.

20141216_095553.jpg20141216_095613.jpg20141216_095542.jpg

Apologies for the poor pic but between my stomach and the space in the basement mechanical room (my temp winter shop and tool storage hangout) I cant get back enough to do any better.

This bench proved to me why you need a stretcher between the legs at say about 8 - 12 inches off the floor. It can rock if you want to plane on something this narrow without a stretcher.

My aim though is to use this as a carving bench so no big deal but i did not want wobble. Time will tell if it becomes fire wood although home depot warped pine is hardly worth burning. :D

Had thought the 2x 8 or 6 not sure now would have been enough to prevent wobble but its in the wrong place for that purpose.

Check out the sexy dovetail on the bottom rail :rofl: that was just a bit of fun.

Looking good Rob. I have a knee-jerk reaction to that small bench (and the bench-on-a-bench builds) but just have no where to put one. A small drawer unit at the bottom would add some storage and stability against any racking. I find abrasives, specialty clamps or sharpening supplies all make excellent ballast ;-)

Rob I need something similar for my small basement in the winter. I've been doing some glue ups on the floor and an old dresser. Not good at all. Might just work something up next week when I'm off for the holidays. Thanks for the idea! :thumb:

I like it Rob. Personally, I think the dovetail joint on the bottom rail is a nice touch. This bench gives me some ideas for a possible guitar service bench I've been considering for inside the new house. (Don't want to schlep my guitars out to the shop to work on them.) :thumb:

Can't you add a rail now, or do something like a sandbag on the base to help keep it in place? (may not help with the wobble, but might with the scoot)
In truth, you pretty much need a bench, to build what one wants as a bench.

Well Randal i wanted it open so i can sit on a stool and carve at it. Its only if i take a plane to it that it rocks side to side.
May try a rail in the middle after putting a further rail between each leg on the side.