Woodworking Bench vice recommendations

Rob Keeble

Been looking on ebay for a used small under bench woodworking bench vice to buy for my new mini bench.
Anyone have any recommendations of cost effective new ones they would care to share, or even knowledge of old ones. Seen several on ebay but it suddenly struck me i have never purchased a woodworking vice before.
Thanks for any tips.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Don't know about used but here is what I recently put on a bench I just built. A twin screw vise and a pin less leg vise. The pin less part I made myself from some left over parts I had and I had to make the gears myself out of some phenolic.
IMG_20141029_130406.jpgIMG_20141029_130319.jpgIMG_20141029_130342.jpg

Alan, now that's just mean. Teasing us like that with the sneak peek of the guitar is cruel and unusual punishment, lol.

I have the largest Record vice built into my bench on one end and a pin leg vice on the other corner.

I really like both vices and would not like to have to choose just one.

bench_re-oiled_2.jpg

IMG_1993.JPG

Last edited:
I can't seem to find any pictures but, re-reading your post and seeing that you actually asked about a SMALL, UNDERMOUNT, vise . . . . :eek: I have a grey (Bessey?) version of one of these that I had three different mounting position on a worktable setup for via t-nuts and knob/bolts. I added a wooden jaw and although low on capacity, it never failed me. If it wouldn't cost more than a new one to ship it to you, I'd give it to you. It was mounted to a rolling worktable via a spacer block to make the jaw tops even with the worktop.

The vise that Glen mentions, are common at places (Home Depot, Lowe's, Harbor Freight, Princess I think in Canada, etc). I was given one a long time ago, by a late friend and upgraded when Harbor Freight carried the Record clones. I then passed it on. (never seen one go for more then $10 at a garage sale)
But another option to consider, since this is a mini bench, does that mean portable? If so someone sells an expensive mini bench that I would think about what they use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnul7hYbU5w Pipe clamps. I have thought about building one of these.
The leg vises, I picked one up used, on Ebay, for the hardware (a LOT less then new), that may be an option to consider on them.

Glenn thanks for the offer but i think Randall has just provided me with a solution.
Randall thanks for that video.it is just what i wanted for my purposes.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Cool. I look forward to your version of the Bench Horse. I have always been fascinated by the concept but, can't find a place for it in the shop. There's another variation that uses Jorgy model 53 dual pipe clamps that I can't find right now. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Rob, if you build it, would you do me a favor and post your use results? My fear about it was legs like what he uses might be too light. (I was thinking of making it lock to sawhorses somehow)
I think it would be a good bench if that isn't an issue, I just don't really have the space for one, currently.