Small is Good...

Bill Arnold

Staff member
...if you keep getting assignments for small projects!

I've had to get a bit inventive to do a few turnings lately, so I decided to get something to help me along. One of my problems in finding what to get is the NOVA chuck I have is stamped "Nova Scroll", a version I couldn't find anywhere. After looking around enough and examining photos, I had to assume this is what Nova now calls the "G3". Anyway, I decided on the jaw set I wanted and it arrived today.

JS25N_a.jpg

After extracting the jaws from the greasy bag they're shipped in, I soaked them in naphtha for a while, then wiped them down.

JS25N_b.jpg

Here's the chuck with the original 50mm jaws, then with the new 25mm jaws installed.

JS25N_c.jpg JS25N_d.jpg

How do I keep getting such small assignments? Just lucky, I guess!!!

Oh, and here's a sneak peak at the start of a new item that should be easier using my new pin jaws.

JS25N_e.jpg

I'm SO lucky to have such special clients!!!
:)

Hi Bill, those pin jaws seem to be for internal chucking only, seeing as they only have fastening screws along the outer edges of the jaws. To grip the outside of a piece, there would need to be another set of fastener screws closer to the center. I ran into this just a little while back with someone. These jaws will hold externally, but only minimally, at best. They are intended for gripping inside a bore.

Hi Bill, those pin jaws seem to be for internal chucking only, seeing as they only have fastening screws along the outer edges of the jaws. To grip the outside of a piece, there would need to be another set of fastener screws closer to the center. I ran into this just a little while back with someone. These jaws will hold externally, but only minimally, at best. They are intended for gripping inside a bore.

Here's what Teknatool says on their item page:

"One of our most popular and convenient jaws for small bowl and small unsupported spigot turning work. Designed for small bowl (expanding dovetail mounting up to 6" dia) and small spigot (contracting mode) free end turning work (up to 5" long). Ideal for mini/midi lathe gripping work below size that can be handled by the Standard 50mm Jaws"

http://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck_accessories/25mm.htm

Last edited: