First Band Saw Box

I needed to make something for a silent auction that is taking place tomorrow night at a benefit dinner for a friend that is fighting cancer. I was watching Youtube flicks and came across one built by the "Drunken Woodworker"... I downloaded the basic design from his web site. His has a nice inlay on the drawer front. I passed on that as I'm not that talented yet.... I made mine with robusta and maple. I flocked the inside with a very dark chocolate brown flock. I couldn't buy the adhesive they sell for it (won't go through the mail to Hawai'i) so I tried a fine even coat of wood glue. The glue holds the flock good so far. The finish is about 4 coats of oil that I rubbed in over a period of a few days.

CIMG0309.jpg

CIMG0307.jpg

Here is a link to the inspiration to build the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaEZO8bJPY

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the accolades... Paul, it was more stress over messing up good wood than difficult. I really need to get a 3/16" blade with 3-4 TPI.... Next time I will make the radius of the two lower corners a little bigger. Had a hard time getting the blade to follow the line... Couldn't be my fault! LOL... I did get some burning getting the tight corners cut. I sanded just to knock of the real rough stuff and then painted the inside of both the box and the drawer portion with semi gloss black paint. I think it helped the flocking cover easier. Flocking the inside of the box as the designer suggested, did "tighten" up the fit and feel of the operation of the drawer.

I'll see tomorrow night how well I did!! LOL I'll post the results of the silent auction when its over!

Great Band Saw Box.

I have make several and every time it was a blast making them.

I ended up with a super thin blade that worked great - maybe 3/16 or maybe 1/8. Either way it was thinner that recommended for my saw. They said it would not work. Great I said - THAT is the one I want. I love it when I am told it will not work.

Also - I loved the connection on the video.

My hat's off to you Buddy, for both making a very nice little box, and for the reason you made it. Gives you a good feeling inside, don't it? I guess you are making me guilty for not trying a bandsaw box before now. Okay, I'll work on that.

Good job, all the way around. Keep the initiatives coming my friend.

Aloha.

Good looking box... I've always been fascinated by band saw boxes. I've always wanted to try one, but haven't yet.... I noticed in the vid that he used a disc sander and a spindle sander, neither of which I have, so would have to do mostly hand sanding...

There was an artist here in Tellico Plains when we first started coming up here that more or less specialized in them... he had some really nice ones in his shop, but he moved to Coker Creek up on the mountain and then his health deteriorated and I think he may have retired.

Thank you everybody for all the warm fuzzies!! We had the auction last night. I worked in the kitchen with another friend and I cooked up about 11 pounds of spaghetti to go along with the many gallons of both meat and vegetarian sauce. That with green salad and rolls, got everybody's tummy filled! The little box was sold for $45.00 and was happy to hear some of the comments. Now to just find the time to make a few more for practice! I'll wait until I can find a better blade for cutting a tighter radius in the corners. I don't know if my machine with the ball bearing guides will hold a 1/8" blade Leo mentioned or not but as said above, I think I would be happy with a 3/16" with say 3-4 tpi....:thumb:

Again, thanks to everyone for the support!!

I would say that's a pretty nice first box. I just started making these. Just got the Carter stabilzer but then on broke my 1/8 blade. I'm not sure I can make tight enough turns with the 3/16 blade. I got the stabilizer because I was having problems with the cut on a 4" thick piece not being even. Top thicker than bottom. I will get new blades probably tomorrow.

Have you had this issue. What brand of blade did you use? I had a Timberwolf 1/8 14tpi. Not sure if I want to try Olson.

Scott Turner;417776 What brand of blade did you use? I had a Timberwolf 1/8 14tpi. Not sure if I want to try Olson.[/QUOTE said:
I don't know a whole lot about band saws and the way I set my Taiwanese special up may go against the norm but this is what I do. I loosen the guide and thrust bearings so they don't touch the blade. Set the height of the guide post for the thickness of the stock I'm cutting and set tension on the blade. I run my blade as tight as possible with out breaking it. I strum mine and listen to it (I know I'm strange but it works for me!). I then turn the wheels and get the blade tracking in the center of the tire. Once that is all done I set the side bearings making sure I don't deflect the blade when tightening and finally I bring the thrust bearing just up to the back of the blade. I haven't had much problem using this method. YMMV.... I used to get a problems in the past because I was too timid in how tight I ran the blade tension and the blade would not cut straight through the wood.

I don't have a clue as to what brand blades I'm using. Been way too many years since I bought them! lol... I would suggest getting blades with few teeth. Like I posted above, I would like to get a new 3/16" w/ 4 tpi.. fewer teeth will allow more room for the saw dust to be cleared from the kerf as the saw cuts and less burning on the cuts.

I said I don't know a lot and most of what I think I know is from trial and error so, if I've posted any bad info here, please correct me so that I don't lead anybody down the wrong path! You won't hurt my feelings if corrected..