son's bookcase

dave worrall

Finally finished my son's bookcase....first build in my new "tiny" workshop. Overall size is 25" x 48" . Pine construction with 3 coats of polyurethane.DSC_0011a.jpgDSC_0019a.jpgDSC_0007a.jpg

The bookcase is 25 inches by 48 inches high.......my shop is 12 feet x 12 feet....just to clarify. :)

yep, that's a pretty small space to work with machines. but it turned out great, on to the next project.

I live on long island dave, and I used to go to a lot of estate and tag sales here.

I was in one home in the Oceanside area, a very small cape, smaller than mine, and off the kitchen, through a fake wall/door, in back of counter, an older gent(deceased 6 months before his wife I was told), had a room approx. 8ft by 8 ft filled with tools.
there were signs on some of the furniture throughout the house that it was handmade by the owner of the house.
All I thought about that morning was how did that guy build a dresser in an 8ft by 8ft space, loaded with tools, and how did he manage to get it out of there, along with all the other furniture in the house with signs on it.

I figured it was a slow, tedious process, but possible.

Nice bookcase. Hope he keeps his books neatly in place.

NO! I hope it is partially empty all of the time with books strung all over the room and the rest of the house like my kids did. Stimulate his brain. Get a book about any/every thing he asks about or shows interest in. Books are fertilizer for the brain (intelligence and imagination).

That is a real nice bookcase. Tell us about the child that goes with it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Here I am giving parental advice after raising two brats of my own---Man, am I going to hear about that statement from Glenn and Greg.

I just had to add this.

My uncle Fred (from Albuquerque) had a small workshop in his basement. He built a sailboat there. I hate to admit it. But yes he did. He built a boat larger than any way to get it out of the basement. When his wife went to visit old school friends for a couple weeks he had construction people come in dig, tear out a wall, etc. just like in the best Sit Coms.

Why the timing on the boat removal? She was not the sweet understanding type of wife.

Enjoy,
JimB

The child is six years old and attends a Montessori school. He is currently learning the guitar, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. He is also reading at a grade 2 level and is up to his 10 times tables in math. His passion however is trains. Anything and everything about them. He can tell you how the pistons create steam to drive the wheels. I hang my head in shame sometimes as he's explaining this to other people and I get that look of "Gee, the kid's smarter than his old man". Well at 54 (wife is 20 years my junior), this smart kid is the best gift this "old" man could ask for.