SketchUp 2015 Was Released Today

Dave Richards

In case any of the SketchUp users are interested, SU2015 was released today. Now there's a 64-bit version, code optimized to improve speed, some new tools, LayOut got a bunch of improvements, as well. Read more here. I'll be doing a blog post soon to demonstrate some of the new features.

Very nice. Even though I am far from a 'power user' on SU I have been thinking of getting the paid version for some of the features that make life easier. I will look forward to your thoughts.

I think you'd like it, Glenn. You should at least download the pro version and run the trial. Then you could get the Trim and Keep plugin and I bet you'd find that so useful, you'd go for the pro version of SketchUp.

Since you got me headed the right way with SU a few years ago, I've thought about the pro version but never justified the cost. I've been able to do everything I need to do (I think) with the free version. If one pays the fee for the pro version, what do the updates cost?

Bill, the updates are something like $90. I don't know exactly what the current price is. They had some incentive to get you to upgrade annually. If you skip a year the upgrade would be more. I don't know exactly what the details are on that or if they actually even followed through on that part. I know that folks who bought SU2014 Pro in the last month or so would get a free upgrade to SU2015. They've always done that, though.

Thanks Dave. Now, if you would provide a promotion code for the update:wave: Incidentally, the updates are now $95. Mine was set to expire next July and it prompted me to avoid reinitialization? fee and update now...so now mine will expire in July of 2016. So I would be covered until 2015, then would have to pay an additional fee? Seems strange. Their policy isn't very clear...on purpose?

Last edited:
Ted, Go ahead and install 2015 Pro and see what happens. Since you paid the fee, you may find you're all set. I don't know and can't speak for their customer service but it's worth a shot.