Another collection of Ash & Walnut bits.

Chas Jones

Just 177mm High, another attempt at exploring 'Classic' shapes.

DSCN4716.JPG

DSCN4717.JPG

DSCN4718.JPG

DSCN4719.JPG

Done as an exercise in assembly and holding methods with a desire to machine all surfaces to finish.

Nicely done once again, Chas. :clap:

...Done as an exercise in assembly and holding methods with a desire to machine all surfaces to finish.

Aside from the very slight misalignment of one vertical piece of walnut that I can see, I'd say you achieved your goal. :thumb:

Nicely done once again, Chas. :clap:

Aside from the very slight misalignment of one vertical piece of walnut that I can see, I'd say you achieved your goal. :thumb:

Yes that's a little niggle Vaughn, must try harder on that score when I marry two separate segment components, slight variations in segment outer width do not show in my simple boxes if the components are turned slightly off centre but the difference becomes obvious mounted like this piece.

Trying to puzzle how I can guarantee that I centre the glue ups more precisely when rough turning them to size.

...Trying to puzzle how I can guarantee that I centre the glue ups more precisely when rough turning them to size.

I'd imagine alignment is one of the harder aspects of the whole process. You do a great job of it. I think the only reason I noticed it this time is because your joints and alignments are typically impeccable, so this minor (nearly invisible) slip stood out to me. :thumb:

It's at this stage I'm having problems, the slightest offset difference between components results in differing segment periphery dimensions.
Working on devising some form of blank alignment marking so that they can be centered more accurately in the chuck.

DSCN4169-800.jpg

Even with this ring you can see a difference in waste wood dimensions above the tool, no problem used on its own in a box but would most likely show a difference when trying to match to another component.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see how getting things perfectly aligned would be a big challenge. To me, it'a part of what makes your work so impressive.

Thanks Chas for posting your work here. I would never get to see it if you did not and i never cease to be inspired and amazed by what you do. Vaughn takes the prize for Eagle eye. I was so amazed by the overall piece i had to really go back and look to find what he was referring to and without the pointers i am still not convinced i would have noticed it.
It goes to show we woodworkers are way more critical than any non woodworker would be in spotting missteps.
Its particularly good that you show some of how it goes together since at first look i had not considered that it was more than two two halves in build.