Question for Lora and Roy

what about these knives they wooden handle and are the ones i have been looking at. Any of you got any views or experience with them?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31083&cat=1,130,43332,43339

Oh and i am up for spirit carving something other than snakes too.

I was going to do Roys class with the Buffalo until he had to change to fish. I guess we all have different ideas of what we would want to carve so its hard to please everyone.

I am just glad carving is getting a better showing on our forum.
A waste of money for the carving you are looking at doing. They are meant for a special type of Chip Carving. (German & European)

Get the MOOR chip carving knife you see that Lora is using in one of her 1st pics, and be certain to have LV sharpen it. It can't be used to carve straight from the manufacturer.

what about these knives they wooden handle and are the ones i have been looking at. Any of you got any views or experience with them?

I was going to do Roys class with the Buffalo until he had to change to fish. I guess we all have different ideas of what we would want to carve so its hard to please everyone.

Good Knifes for small cut in chip carving , there not the best steel but if you take your time an do small cuts there great. The ones you are looking at are for chip carving an they are thin

For a great selection of carving knives go to <www.chippingaway.com>

Carol, I don't but that idea sounds like it will be well worth the time to see what I can come up with. Since you do have arthritis you may well enjoy the wider handle.
LV has High Friction Guard Tape 90' for $4.90, wouldn't that be better than a band-aid? or am I missing something?

Mark, I haven't used the Friction Guard. What I do use, and I went to check the package to get the name right, is Breathable Gentle Wrap, Fully Flexible, for Compression and Support. Its a 3" wide by 2' long strip that adheres only to itself. We use it around the house because Mom is allergic to bandage adhesive. What is great about it is that you can warp your tool handles, have the extra grip, but not leave any adhesive on the tool. Since it is made for use against the skin, its very comfortable without causing my hands to sweat.

So its not just a bandaid ... its a bandage wrap.

- Lora

Mark, I haven't used the Friction Guard. What I do use, and I went to check the package to get the name right, is Breathable Gentle Wrap, Fully Flexible, for Compression and Support. Its a 3" wide by 2' long strip that adheres only to itself. We use it around the house because Mom is allergic to bandage adhesive. What is great about it is that you can warp your tool handles, have the extra grip, but not leave any adhesive on the tool. Since it is made for use against the skin, its very comfortable without causing my hands to sweat.

So its not just a bandaid ... its a bandage wrap.

- Lora

Lora,
It really is the same stuff as Roy and Carol are talking about. It's used for medical, veterinary, sports, etc. It comes in many colors, from bland off-white to fluorescent orange. The cheapest place to buy it is a farm supply store.