Explain your Avatar

All of the Avatars are different and there is a reason that each person has chosen the one they are currently using.
When posting here it is the intent of this thread to have you explain the avatar you are currently using. (I have been changing mine regularly so the explanations may not make sense any more, I am going to ask for help posting all my previous Avatars here as thumbnails so that the evolution will be sensible:D)

I am hoping this post comes through with my first avatar and thought I would explain it. There is a reason for it. My daughter was looking for something to do as kids age 7 often do. She was visiting my new wife and I for the weekend so I figured lets play with some clay that was in plastic in another room. They were both working and needed no direction so I got involved and figured I would sculpt my fingers. Hopefully you see the results.

I care about safety and know how fast an accident happens, a nano second often changes lives. Lots of nano seconds in a day.

Working with wood we need be alert and work safely. Don't lose the joy of woodworking to an accident. Thus my reminder every time I post.
SAFETY FIRST
I have included a photo of my fingers, still part of my body to this day, and hopefully until that day when I hang up my tools forever.
NOW YOU!!YOUR TURN!!
Thinking this might be a way of finding more about you in a different kind of thread.
Shaz
Oh, P.S. I already changed my avatar , see post#84. Something better this way comes.

Attachments

• all fingers safety first.jpg
    all fingers safety first.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Mine is just a pic of me on a boat ride to a really nice place we stopped at once while bike touring in Japan, I like the pic and the memory, nothing more.

Cheers!

I guess I'd like to convey my character with mine. If you were to visit my shop and after the tools were turned off, I'd offer you a cold beverage of your choice, then I'd lean against my bandsaw and begin to swap lies with you....kinda like what I was doing when that picture was taken.

My new avatar (as of Dec 2008) is a picture of my Dad holding me in December 1942 -just before he went away to Europe for almost exactly three years to fight in the second world war. Upon his return, Dad got me started in woodworking.

Last edited:
Mine is just me boasting about my other love and hobby...Irish Setters. This is a picture of our middle "child" doing one of the things she loves best, Agility trials. She didn't make it as a show dog, but has 5 agility titles. Her AKC name is Coolmeadow Twist And Shout, aka Taz. She was the only pup in her litter, born Christmas weekend in 1999. We called her our Y2K baby as a play off of the Y2K scare with computers, because with the emergency C-section on the holiday weekend, plus all the other expenses in the pregnancy, she cost us about 2K. :D But she is a special dog.
Part of our other work with Irish Setters is that my wife and I, mostly my wife, are Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas. Right now we have about 10 dogs in foster care, 7 of which are at our house. :eek: It has been heart breaking at times, but soooo rewarding when you find the right family for a particular dog.
Coolmeadow is our kennel name. but you'll also see me talking about my shop as Coomeadow Creations. More than you were expecting, huh?? :D:D Jim.

I was playing around with the built-in iSight camera in my new iMac, and took the pic. You can use it as a web camera or still digital... I'm sitting in front of it in my computer loft.

Last edited:
Mine's just a picture of some low-life longhair I found on the web. Here's a pic of the real me:

funnyface.jpg

Actually, in my current avatar, the guy on my t-shirt is also pretty appropriate for me:

Rock Big2.jpg

:wave:

Colleague at work is a real shutterbug. In fact, he is going back to school to study photography for a year. He snapped this one of me a few months back when he was playing around with his camera at work, trying to find the right lighting to do some portraits for the communications office.

I call this the "evil art" photo, cause of the reddish glare on my face.
(and when I edit the avatar, as I inevitably will, this post will make no sense)

Colleague at work is a real shutterbug. In fact, he is going back to school to study photography for a year. He snapped this one of me a few months back when he was playing around with his camera at work, trying to find the right lighting to do some portraits for the communications office.

I call this the "evil art" photo, cause of the reddish glare on my face.
(and when I edit the avatar, as I inevitably will, this post will make no sense)
Art, when that happens, you can edit this note as well. That is what I plan to do.

Maybe this thread should be made a sticky and folks should bhe encouraged to keep it up to date.

Mine is a rare shot of me at the lathe! Ha ha, a shot of me at any lathe is not so rare, is it? It sort of says what I like so much about woodworking.

Say, if I change my avatar, do I have to come back and edit this thread?

Bill

My current avatar is a pic of my youngest daughter sitting next to a QSWO coffee table that I made from salvaged wood. She's the youngest of six ranging in height from 3'5" to 6'5" (7-19). It's one of the few pics I have that shows one of the kids and a wwing project together. It just so happens that a fellow FW member, Tom Pritchard, is her Godfather, so I thought he might get a kick out of seeing her in the avatar.

Nothing too profound, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Here's a pic of Tom and Tess:

Attachments

• Tess7-T3.jpg
    Tess7-T3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I think that it would be good if we kept these up to date, so you should.

why? this is another thread not related to woodworking that`ll get lost in the shuffle.......it`s kinda interesting to know a bit more about folks and why they use the pics they do but a year from now is this something any of us are going to find relevent?