Explain your Avatar

New Avatar

My new avatar (as of Dec 2008) is a picture of my Dad holding me in December 1942 -just before he went away to Europe for almost exactly three years to fight in the second world war. Upon his return, Dad got me started in woodworking.

iggy.jpg

"what's for lunch Dad, can I have some, huh? Huh?"

while eating lunch the other day, this was the view of our aging dachsie... minus the 'blue-eye'. Iggy is showing his 11 years of late. but he's such a character!

Last edited:
My Avatar is a banana blossom with new bananas. It is such a novel thing to grow your own bananas. I'm from the NW and to see all the palms, coconuts, and all the other tropical fruit is just mesmerizing! I have even planted and harvested my own oranges, lemons, and limes. Picked our first papaya last week too. Nothing better than a cold vodka tonic with a squeeze of Tahitian lime that you grew yourself at the end of a long day.:D:thumb:

Banana avata.jpg

My current one is from a sunset pic I took somewhere in Arizona on my way between Albuquerque and LA after Christmas.

Arizona Sunset 1 800.jpg

Royal, I can relate (at least in part) to the tropical fruits and other plants. Our navel orange tree is in full ripening mode. Best OJ I've ever had. And our lemon tree produces ripe fruit year-round. Any time I need a lemon, I just go out in the back yard and pick one.

Mine is depictive of the nickname labeled upon me by some really good friends and colleagues and students, following one student's referral to me as that "Hickory legged M F" (not sure if it was with admiration but certainly emotion) Of course making reference to my "wooden" legs (they were wood at that time) The moniker stuck and was converted to an affectionate name, of which I am proud. The fish leaping represents my other love of the outdoors and Angling pleasures. The word Hickory is written through the configurations of the tree limbs. Although my limbs are no longer wood, I wouldn't answer to "Carbon Fiber Guy" as I have been called "Hickory" for about 35 years.

I change mine out here and there. Depending on my mind set. Currently I've been itching to go play some golf. I don't walk and carry my bag anymore (left knee bone on bone)... thus I ride... but still really enjoy the game.

Mine is a picture of me when I'm 3 or 4 years old, in front of my dad's band new Plymouth, that would be around 1967, or 1968.....

stu_ablett_car.jpg

....... I also have a picture of my dad, at about the same age, in front of his dad's car.......
doug_ablett_car.jpg

Just a little family conection :wave:

Mine is a picture of me when I'm 3 or 4 years old, in front of my dad's band new Plymouth, that would be around 1967, or 1968.....

....... I also have a picture of my dad, at about the same age, in front of his dad's car.......

Just a little family conection

That is neat Stu! I hope you have a picture of your girls in front of your family vehicle to keep the tradition going.

Mine is of my dog HOMER, yes he reminds me of him. He is my stress reliver, when I am getting stressed he come over and sits next me and helps me think about something else.

Don't remember if I posted in the past or not, but mine is me and our youngest son when I went on the Tiger cruise with him. 6 days from Pearl Harbor to San Diego. Great times were had. I have never been so impressed by today's youth as I was on that trip. Photos can be seen at my photo site below.

My current one is cropped from a pic I took of a sunset last month in Arizona on my way home from visiting family in New Mexico.

Arizona Sunset 1 800.jpg Arizona Sunset 1 Cropped.jpg

Abominable Snowman

Ok, I guess if the chameleon is my brand, I should stick with it. Plus I don't care much for seeing my own mug every time I read the forums.

I was actually looking for a small chameleon pic I could paste into a snowbank, but I found this little guy who is actually turning a wooden screw of some sort. I decided to make him my new avatar and shop helper. I can't imagine that there are many pics of lizard woodworkers out there!

The original idea behind the first chameleon was to remind me of Madagascar and some luthiers I got to know there. They do amazing work with the meanest of tools. Truly inspirational.

Last edited: