Explain your Avatar

I have been a reenactor of early American history for many years. My area of main interest is the Revolution. Long ago I adopted the Revolutionary Rifleman as my personna and have attended reenactments, given presentations and talks many-many times over the decades. So, that' me sorta dressed like a Rev. Rifleman. However, I guess, these days I should represent myself as a 'former' rifleman. The Rev. Rifleman was described as "young, lean and steely eyed". All three of those attributes have become part of MY history. We are old. The photo below is from our anniversary in 1784. The custom built Rev. period longrifle pictured has been retired and will be donated to a museum sometime next year. I am now using a larger caliber 16th century style Jaeger flintlock rifle.

Edit and update: I changed my avatar from a picture of myself to a Masonic square and compasses. Many fellow Master Masons might look at that and wonder what the beaver is doing in the center. In America, normally, there is a 'G'. That is not an official requirement but something traditional that sprang from the Revolutionary times. However, my little beaver represents my membership in a side Masonic order called the Fraternal Order of the Beaver. This is an order for reenactors who represent the era in America pre-1840. The beaver stems from the buckskinner, or mountain man beaver trapper of the fur trade era.

Attachments

• F&E 1784 small.jpg
    F&E 1784 small.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Well If mine shows up, I just added it, It is the first resto job of a 1951 232-D Oliver table saw. It is what I like to do along with my wood working. Some know I am a machinest by trade so i like to get older machines and nurture them back to health
Reg

Reg, you should post some pics of the restoration process when you get a chance. I vaguely remember seeing bits and pieces on SMC, but I've slept since then.

When you're as forgetful as me, it's a brand-new day everyday. :p

I took that picture with the Handyman drill guages in one hand & the camera in the other as a spoof. The LOML cracks up everytime she looks at it. So I though what the heck it may produce a few laughs here. We can all use a few laughs.:rofl::eek: :wave:

Actually the bigger pic is better.

Now Bart has a complete shop (I think). :thumb:

Bart, do I correctly see a microwave, behind what looks to me to be a mortiser and a drill press, up on a shelf?

Heat up a cup of coffe, heat up a sandwich, heat up some glue......no end to the uses of a necessity like that.

I almost think we should start including reviews and recommendations for microwaves in our tools section; Almost. ;) :D

Just climbed off a 42' Trawler after 2 weeks in Desolation Sound BC.
There's a real cute young lady next to me and it's a beautiful day.
What's not to put on my best Cheshire Cat grin for:thumb:
The Cheshire Cat grin is great and all (one of the best), but howsabout a pic of the "very cute young lady"? :D C'mon, where's your sense of compassion for your fellow woodworkers? :rofl:

(Kidding, of course. Leave your pic up...you've got a very infectious grin.)

Hey Mark, where is your avatar....... :huh:

Well, I've never felt the need to put one up. I guess I don't have to have a pic of myself, maybe a pic of my dogs? I also really don't know how to make one, after somehow getting a pic of myself.

Quite frankly, I"m not really sure that I'm worthy of even having one, seeing as I'm just a simple bonehead hack. I'm not even in tha same league as a lot of you folks.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Last edited:
Mark,

Look at it this way. Posting one of you might be considered a public service. If we know what you look like... if we're ever where you are, we can hide sooner! :eek:

:rofl:

Seriously, if you get one, I'll show you how to post it...it's pretty easy.

Greg

I also really don't know how to make one, after somehow getting a pic of myself.

Mark, and anyone else... I'm sure there are plenty of folks here, myself included, who can fettle up an avatar out of a photo. Just ask. Or just post the photo in the off-topic thread and we'll "git-er-done" for you.

I took that picture with the Handyman drill guages in one hand & the camera in the other as a spoof. The LOML cracks up everytime she looks at it. So I though what the heck it may produce a few laughs here. We can all use a few laughs.:rofl::eek: :wave:

Actually the bigger pic is better.
It worked! I laugh (or, at least smile) every time I see this silly picture. Thanks for using it Bart.

Well, I've never felt the need to put one up. I guess I don't have to have a pic of myself, maybe a pic of my dogs? I also really don't know how to make one, after somehow getting a pic of myself.

Unfair! Foul! I hereby log a formal protest!

Why should you be immune? :rofl:

Get thyself immortalized in electrons and post forthwit!:type:

I decided to change my avatar to something more related to the productive side of woodworking. This is a tree I built in a restaurant/bar in Houston a few years ago. It was a real challenge but was well received, it was supposed to represent a banyon tree as in hawaii. The restaurant was called "Surfer's Paradise".

I was going to start a thread called " Show us your fingers!",:thumb: but thought twice about it and decided to pass, :rolleyes: NO telling where that thread would have gone.:rofl:
Shaz

Last edited: