Explain your Avatar

I'm a Mason, and in the midst of the famous (in woodworking circles) Studley Tool Chest is that image: The Square and Compasses. So a little snip here, a little resize there (other forums aren't as generous with their avatar size) and there it is.

Alright, here's one. This is one that Andy Hoyt made for another site. It's a very small group and he asked everyone for a photo without telling us what it was for. Well, we found out soon enough. I think he had some free time and some fairly serious pharmaceuticals to spare along with some new editing software. :D It's not really that much of a stretch however. :D

OK, I'll bite. My avatar is a cardinal, the most glorious of birds in color and sound. Living in NM, I don't see them live, as this is not their territory, so I decided to gather as many pictures and porcelains of them that I could. This is one of the pictures that comes up in my screensaver (home-made, by the way), and I thought it was so beautiful (as compared to me!!). Better than the cat I have on SMC--do ya think?

Nancy

And I changed my avatar a while back, to show me at the lathe so I can prove that I do actually do something on that little spinny machine. This was taken by LOML while I was roughing out my first bowl!!

Last edited:
I found mine on the Internet a few years back, don't recall where exactly. I think it's Ian McLagan, who was the keyboardist for the band Faces. I thought it was rather amusing anyway.

Maybe when I get tired of looking at it, I'll change over to a picture of my cat or something.

Cheers,

Kevin

I never used an avatar before this forum. I decided to use a picture of myself because I have communicated with a few guys from a couple of forums and when I do I always feel like that I know them if they have used their picture and that was a good feeling. There are a lot of you members that I feel like that I know even though I have never communictated with you because you used your own picture and over time, in my mind, I felt that it became a better relationship because of it.

After a long period of time I became somewhat embarrassed that I was not reciprocating in kind so I decided to comply with my decision to display my picture. Now you know what the guy looks like that was giving advise when maybe he should have been receiving advise instead.

Allen

Pic

Mine was taken last year when we went to OBX. Our house was in the 4x4 area and there were wild horses just wondering everywhere. Very Cool...:thumb:

As I put up a new Avatar, I thought I'd explain it.

That is a pic of my Dad, from 1936 in front of the family truck, taken at Fairview British Columbia.

Here is one of him on his trike......

doug_ablett_trike.jpg

I also have two similar pics of me........

stu_ablett_car.jpg
1968 in front of the family car

stu_ablett_trike.jpg
my trusty old trike!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I guess since Stu updated his explanation I should as well.

My avatar picture was taken when Keith July and I were hired to build the new bar for our local American Legion, we were sanding raised panel doors at the time.

I am giving this thread a 'bump' in the hope that it will prompt some resonses from folks who have recently joined us.

Well bumped, Frank !

Larry Merlau asked me to explain my avatar in a thread, which I did. I'll add my story here because I found the 10 pages of posts here quite interesting and informative.

My avatar is a lemur, native of Madagascar. I went to Madagascar in 2000 with LOML Ver 2.0. It was a clean break form my life in Vancouver BC - 12 time zones away and a completely different world. More than anything else we loved the people we met there - mysterious, but at the same time warm and friendly. There's real misery in that country - leprosy and plague are still a real danger. For most Malagache life is a fight for survival.

I had a fascination with lemurs that began when I started to research our destination. To me their faces project an intelligence which they probably don't have. Alas, I never saw a single one - we didn't make it to the jungles of the south. Nowadays they remind me of a happy time spent among wonderful folks.

Plus I spend too much time on here to be looking at my own mug. The lemur with his noble face and penetrating eyes is far better than any photo me ever could be.

Hi Folks,
In reading Allen's post, I think #93 , it had to do with putting a face together with a name. That made sense to me. Thanks Allen. :thumb: This is me, in December 2006 about 2 months before my bi-annual haircut. Now, late January... Time to start sizing up the barber poles for one I think I can trust with this mop. :rofl: You never really know what it will look like when I say to them " cut it short." :eek:
Shaz

Shaz, I used to wear my hair like yours. Well, longer even. I went into a barber one day and as I climbed into the chair made the mistake of asking him how he was doing. Evidently his no good, drunk, jobless brother in law had moved in and was sleeping on his couch. The more he talked the higher his blood pressure went. The higher his BP went, the more hair he cut off. I came out with a crew cut.

Actually it wasn't so bad and I never grew it out again. Now I cut my own hair with the shortest guard I have on the clippers. I used to do a regular flat top but my hair sticks up naturally and the long bits at the corners would lift my surgical cap off my head. Now, when that happens, it's my clue that it is time for another buzz cut.

Paid for the clipper in less than 2 haircuts, too.

geeze........you guys that can grow a full head of hair don`t:eek: ......i`ve gotta 3" part and still try to grow hair;)

My avatar are of my current dogs, Airedale Terriers. Both are rescues. I volunteer for ATRA http://www.aire-rescue.com/ Gypsy on the left and Brodie on the right.
Hi Marty F., :wave: Welcome to the Family. You may be surprised how many folks here harbor rescue animals, and the others seem to just love the ones They have. Your kids are pretty:D . I did two rescue danes and now have a rescue retreiver. Glad you are in the mix!
Shaz
Marty

Shaz, I used to wear my hair like yours. Well, longer even. I went into a barber one day and as I climbed into the chair made the mistake of asking him how he was doing. Evidently his no good, drunk, jobless brother in law had moved in and was sleeping on his couch. The more he talked the higher his blood pressure went. The higher his BP went, the more hair he cut off. I came out with a crew cut.
Hi Dave,
I read this and I laughed :rofl: and I laughed :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: !
What ever you do to earn money you missed your calling if you aren't writing for some comedy show.:D
Actually it wasn't so bad and I never grew it out again. Now I cut my own hair with the shortest guard I have on the clippers. I used to do a regular flat top but my hair sticks up naturally and the long bits at the corners would lift my surgical cap off my head. Now, when that happens, it's my clue that it is time for another buzz cut.
It must be great to have a built in monitor.:rofl: And a barber close at hand:rofl:

Paid for the clipper in less than 2 haircuts, too.

geeze........you guys that can grow a full head of hair don`t:eek: ......i`ve gotta 3" part and still try to grow hair;)
Hi Tod, Your okay, you have the real man thing, a beard!:D It looks full and burly. I couldn't grow a full beard lookin beard if I had five years to work on it with real beard fertilzer. Hair transplants might work for my new beard. I don't think so!:eek: Oh well, thanks to woodworking, we can feel good about something, Right?:dunno:
Shaz

My avatar is pretty self-explanatory. However, I must say that I turn avatar viewing off in my profile. Those big pics make for too much scrolling. Too much wasted space for me. I'd like to see the size reduced.