Super Dust Deputy - Plastic version

Darren, I was thinking of one of these as well, but didn't simple because I don't have a planer or jointer in the shop yet. I made the trash can version a few weeks ago and so far so good. Once I have a planer and/or jointer I'm pretty sure I'll be getting once of these too. I doubt you'd be ahead of the game if you tried to design and make your own.

I like the looks of that.

I'm not a fan of the plastic lids, well, because the one I had seemed to break too darn easy.

I'm quite amazed at how the thien baffle I made out of scrap works to keep chips out of my DC, but it doesn't quite have the cool factor that has...

What do you have against a trash can separator, either with simple pipe in/out or a Thein separator? I have one on my jointer/planer run, to drop the larger chips (which the neighbors like for compost), and pass the fine shavings and dust on to the cyclone. By having a very simple separator, there is minimal loss in the airflow/pressure, and I end up with fine dust at the cyclone (which is ugly - goes in the trash) and 10 times the volume of relatively clean shavings that people love. If I see too much of the larger stuff going to the cyclone, I just reduce pressure by opening another gate.

The chip volume out of the shaper is small enough that it goes directly to the cyclone, without a separator.

Hey Darren - I just bought one to use in conjunction with my Festool extractor. I haven't used it much yet. However, I am making a trip to Whiteman AFB on Sunday which has me going through KC. If you'd like, I could bring it with and let you try it out. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Jeff - You live closer and I'll be in DsM around Christmas time. But, if Darren isn't interested, I could drop it off for you to play with whilst I take care of business. :)

My initial impressions are: Good choice of plastic that will flex well without distortion. The flange at the bottom of the cyclone could be thicker to resist distortion when bolting. (I intend to fabricate metal plates to place on top of the flange.) And the decals are very easy to remove. :D

Hey Darren - I just bought one to use in conjunction with my Festool extractor. I haven't used it much yet... :D

Matt,
Is yours the smaller one, with the 2" inlet/outlet? That's the one intended for use with Shop vacs.

I've had one of those for several years, and it works great. I have mine atop a 10 gallon galvanized trash can, and connected to a Fein Turbo III vac. It catches nearly everything. I empty the can frequently, and check the vac about one every six months. The vac only has a little fine dust in it - no debris. The cyclone catches all of it.

I like the look of the Super Dust Deputy. I might just have to consider a way to add one to my DC setup to reduce the amount of bag dumping I'd need to do. I have the smaller Dust Deputy, and if the bigger one works as good as the small one, it'd be worth the money IMO.

Hey Darren - I just bought one to use in conjunction with my Festool extractor. I haven't used it much yet. However, I am making a trip to Whiteman AFB on Sunday which has me going through KC. If you'd like, I could bring it with and let you try it out. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Jeff - You live closer and I'll be in DsM around Christmas time. But, if Darren isn't interested, I could drop it off for you to play with whilst I take care of business. :)

My initial impressions are: Good choice of plastic that will flex well without distortion. The flange at the bottom of the cyclone could be thicker to resist distortion when bolting. (I intend to fabricate metal plates to place on top of the flange.) And the decals are very easy to remove. :D

Matt that's a great offer, even though it's the smaller one.:D Thanks for being willing to do that! :thumb: