Slide top cove boxes

Here are 3 slide top cove boxes. 2 walnut and one big leaf maple with walnut lid.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 44
Mighty pretty, Mike. What are you using for feet?

Thanks everybody- these are quick and fun.

Ted I use a router table to eliminate what wood is not feet and then you have feet. :) Way too many pixtels- you can see the fuzz on the pad. Most of my cove boxes have this or a variation of this foot.
This one- first I gradually take off the wood using the outside edge of a 1 1/2" radius router bit. That gives me the bottom roundover and a solid foot about 1/4-3/8", all around the box. Switch to a 3/8" core bit and set at depth of foot. use the fence to get the right distance and cut the foot. Then use a straight bit to clean rest of waste in between. I hope I did not lose you there- Hell I lost me. Here is a picture- might help.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 31
Very nice boxes Mike. Can you tell us what the wall thickness of the side is.
Do you cut the cove on the table saw?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I start out with 3/4 -1" stock. 45 the corners and glue with bottom in groove. If corners are good and tight I move on otherwise I spline. If you use splines the coves eats them fast if not placed right. Then as you suggested I use table saw. I used to use blade but bought the cove cutter from rockler-spendy but saves a lot on sanding. The minimum thickness is probably 1/4- 3/8's It all depends on box. I watch the figure. If it gets better I cove more if not I stop. They start very clunky looking- too thick and end up light and elegant. Probably have made 100+- I am addicted to the shape.

Very ingenious, would never have thought of doing the cove after the glue up. Match up would really minimize the sanding. Thanks for the idea. Doug

Very ingenious, would never have thought of doing the cove after the glue up. Match up would really minimize the sanding. Thanks for the idea. Doug

It also keeps your fingers a long ways from sharp spinning objects :)
Makes glue up easier- flat pieces vs coved. It is also easier to see when to stop-grain figure and color each change as you remove wood. You are welcome.