What is Inside Your Gas Fired Furnace?

Scott R Smith

With the cold weather bearing down on a lot of us now, it comes time to light up the gas furnace.

Cracked heat exchangers can and will blead deadly CO gas into your house.

Here an expert qucikly disassembles a furnace to show you what a cracked heat exchanger looks like.

Last edited:
Other than a CO monitor, I wonder if there are any other detectable symptoms of this problem. I once had a HVAC technician try to sell me a new furnace by telling me there were cracks in the heat exchanger and we would all be killed in our sleep. My son in law does HVAC and checked it out...furnace was operating perfectly (only five years old).

Had a friend out of HS that was renting an apartment with a girlfriend, found her pet canary was dead one morning, turned out to be a cracked exchanger. Said it explained the headaches they had been having for about a week. He went on to say that he'd have held out another week to kill the girlfriends cat too if he had only known. ;)

I guess that's something to be said for an electric heat pump system... it sits outside and blows hot or cold air as needed... but according to LOML it only blows cold air... since her heart surgery, she lives in sweats and sweaters.. I'm usually gasping for air from the heat.

Some of the guys have a small camera on the end of a flexible wand.

It has a small monitor in the handle, they just run it up inside each of the flues.

I think the units should come with a CO monitor on them, and auto shutdown if needed.

They make us put all that darned Smog stuff on the cars now, but something like this that is life threatning, hmmm.

Some of the guys have a small camera on the end of a flexible wand.

It has a small monitor in the handle, they just run it up inside each of the flues.

I think the units should come with a CO monitor on them, and auto shutdown if needed.

They make us put all that darned Smog stuff on the cars now, but something like this that is life threatning, hmmm.

Really that is a great solution, surprised they aren't doing just that.